Bike died while in traffic... overheating?

ricochet

Rocket Captain
Ride
2012 Rocket III Roadster
Hey Guys,

My bike is 100% stock, only 2200KM on the clock and I am using 87 Octane fuel. Today when I was coming home from work, there was an incredible amount of traffic. And when I mean incredible, its stop and go for miles in every direction, the worst you could possibly imagine. I tried finding an alternate route home and of course, end up in the same amount of traffic another city block over.

Today its fairly warm, about 25c and Im sitting in traffic that isn't moving and the bike fan is going on and blowing incredibally hot air at me.... After a while traffic finally started moving and I put my bike from N into 1st and as I am releasing my clutch to start rolling the bike dies. I checked the kill switch, its still on, but then I try to start the bike by pulling in the clutch and pressing the start button.. the motor didn't turn. I stopped for moment in a panic with traffic behind me, (Why dont these bikes have warning lights or hazard lights?) I kicked the bike into Neutral and hit the starter button and it started right up and I was off... it didn't die again on the way home.

Im a little concerned but probably shouldnt be... I dont think i've stalled the bike, I never have... but it died the moment it started rolling.

Can anyone provide some insight as to what happened or how to prevent this from happening again? As far as I know the battery is fully 100% charged and its given me no other problems as of yet. Can something like thinks happen when it overheats? I was sitting in tons of traffic on a hot day not moving for a long time between lights.

ricochet:
Cannot offer much help but to say we would be astonished if she overheated provided the fan was properly working and she had coolant in her. We have run in considerably hotter environments (i.e. Texas summer) and never had the slightest problem. We have come pretty close to overheating, but the Beast never has. Recommend you look elsewhere.

We trudge on (warmly).

Ricochet, I've had the same thing happen to me. Sometimes it seems she has to get her mind right (ecu) before she wants to fire back up. Yes, my bike has died like that a couple of times. She has fired back up and run just fine afterwards just like yours did. I wouldn't worry about it much.

77f not hot at all. East coast of Florida is usually high eighty's low 90's. So you might have another problem, maybe idle speed or bad tank of gas.

77F is mid winter here. I've idled in temps 110-115 without incident. If it didn't spit out a bunch of coolant from the overflow tube, and your coolant level was where it should be, it didn't overheat.

Something else is going on.

my rocket dies all the time, I m getting used to it. Only once have I had a problem starting it though and it was just after getting off the interstate. Always when returning to idle, Ive learned to keep just a touch of throttle. Seems to be a common thing from what Ive seen. Don't sweat it just enjoy the bike.

ricochet:
Cannot offer much help but to say we would be astonished if she overheated provided the fan was properly working and she had coolant in her. We have run in considerably hotter environments (i.e. Texas summer) and never had the slightest problem. We have come pretty close to overheating, but the Beast never has. Recommend you look elsewhere.

We trudge on (warmly).

Glad to hear you haven't found an issue like that! I think traffic is harder on a bike then just summer heat because at least you can keep air moving over the motor. Traffic is harsh here. Let's just say it took me 1 hour and fifteen minutes to travel 9.9miles. Yes you read that right. Literally moving 3 car lengths every 30 seconds for an hour almost. I hate it so much

my rocket dies all the time, I m getting used to it. Only once have I had a problem starting it though and it was just after getting off the interstate. Always when returning to idle, Ive learned to keep just a touch of throttle. Seems to be a common thing from what Ive seen. Don't sweat it just enjoy the bike.

I find that very interesting Because I've been doing a lot of reading on the forum and the only "real" problem I've read most about is the Ignition issue and how the bike can not start. I don't recall reading much about random bike dying. Is there some kind of pattern?

Fresh tank of gas but it could be a bad tank.

Regarding idling I find that when I come to a stop it has a slow idle around 600-650 but then slowly creeps up and keeps steady at 850 which I believe is normal right

Whilst on a bike, cant you travel up the middle or emergency lanes? Do it in OZ but don't know in Canada.

Whilst on a bike, cant you travel up the middle or emergency lanes? Do it in OZ but don't know in Canada.
I wish!! It is very illegal to do that here. To the point where I have only witnessed it once or twice personally and only in the major city. Keep in mind where I live traffic like this is gettin worse and worse and yeah we can't lane split. The drivers here would probably be offended and open car doors on us.

Back