Back turn (direction) indicator lights issue

When u say it does the problem does that mean it doesnt work on front or front and back.
Also what do u mean by forcing it how do you force it?

I am going to guess this bike has hazards warning lights does this work?

When u say it does the problem does that mean it doesnt work on front or front and back.
Also what do u mean by forcing it how do you force it?
nono...all the indicators work but from time to time, when you activate them for a turn, either one on the front or the back (with no particular pattern and always just one: if the front fails, the back works and vice versa and sometimes the right and others the left side).

By forcing it, I mean that even though that I have the message on the display and one of the lights isn't working, I select the faulty side again for a couple of more times until it start working again and the message disappears.

I haven't tried the hazard light with the fault present, will do next time, but all 4 lights work fine 90% of the time.

regards

I would take a video of the malfunction
and the fault (what does it say ) to show to the dealer. It is the kind of problem they just love. Lol
I would guess that the problem is a voltage problem. At the time of the problem u only have enough volts/amps to work one bulb when u keep working the switch u finally get a good contact.
My over the site diagnose is a defective turn signal switch.
As a mechanic at the time of the problem i would check voltage on the bulb that is not lit.
This is going to b a problem for the dealer and they will wait till the smoke comes out of the switch.

I would take a video of the malfunction
and the fault (what does it say ) to show to the dealer. It is the kind of problem they just love. Lol
I would guess that the problem is a voltage problem. At the time of the problem u only have enough volts/amps to work one bulb when u keep working the switch u finally get a good contact.
My over the site diagnose is a defective turn signal switch.
As a mechanic at the time of the problem i would check voltage on the bulb that is not lit.
This is going to b a problem for the dealer and they will wait till the smoke comes out of the switch.
Thanks for your input, will keep an eye on the issue and will comment your suggestion to the dealer in my next visit, I doubt that they will have the time/patience to deal with this kind of issue right now just at the beginning of the season with tons of bikes going out of hibernation, but in a couple of moths I'll give it a try.
Happy riding!

I am convinced that it is related to the can-bus - perhaps a bad connection in the Chassis ECU. A manufacturing anomaly or a Triumph staffer dropped the ECU during assembly, checked if anyone saw that and then installed it. That could explain why it is so hard to reproduce reliably with a consistent outcome. Use your GoPro and capture several instances on video, as also suggested by TURBO200R4. Document the footage in an email to your dealer. If they push back, include Triumph Canada in copy and remind them about social media and forums.

Last edited:
My R3 GT shows the same problems, not always but sometimes (twice on the last ride over 400 Km).
When I parked the bike I have checked the hazards warning lights and indeed the left rear signal did not work.
But after 5-10 seconds it started to work again (self-repaired). Bike is brand new, actually 600Km driven.
Best, Lutz

Last edited:
My R3 GT shows the same problems, not always but sometimes (twice on the last ride over 400 Km).
When I parked the bike I have checked the hazards warning lights and indeed the left rear signal did not work.
But after 5-10 seconds it started to work again (self-repaired). Bike is brand new, actually 600Km driven.
Best, Lutz
Good to know that I'm not alone! LOL please reply if you find a cause and solution to the issue. I'll do for sure!

I can't fathom how the ****ing dealer can't try to conclude what could be wrong, like estoma did! It's amazing how ignorant dealers seem to be universally, I thought it was just in the US. Ignorant and don't give a ****. They should try to analyze the problem even without seeing it. They should take your word for it, and start figuring out where the malfunction could be, and should consult with the Triumph mothership for help, rather than just tell you we don't see it. Makes me furious. Good luck!

when u try to diagnose something that is working u will get its working answer.
if u can test when not working then your chances r good to find the problem.
do u really want them to start guessing? that can lead to more problems!
very true check with main triumph some one may have found the problem (not likely to tell us)
when my buddy @maurice has the problem then we can fix these :laugh: :laugh: :roll::roll:

Back