Baby it's cold Outside.....

Fuel and spark -- I guess I'd question doing that when mentally I'm staying off the road in suspected slippery conditions.

Living in the Boston area, I can relate to the conditions, and have not had a particularly good experience with the R3T in winter. When I first bought my 2013, it would not start below 50 F. Then with all the good inputs from this community; Toyota Solaris starter, extra heavier ground wire, contact cleaning, etc., I was able to start say down to 40 F. But 40 is not a normal NE winter temp, and anything below that temp only gave me a half an engine turn at best, even though the battery checks out as being healthy and is always on a tender. After being frustrated with not being able to ride on unusually dry roads over the past week or so, I thought maybe a bigger hammer would do the trick. Swapped out my 270 CCA Yuasa battery for a 500 CCA X-rated lead battery. It's an MX20L that slots in perfectly and can be had over Amazon for $129. Cranked right up at 30 degrees out of the box. I have no idea how long this Throttle X brand will last, but it was a lot cheaper than going Li ion for similar CCA. Besides, I hear the the Lithiums are tricky in the cold as well. There must be more elegant electronic solutions to this common problem with the Rockets, but for me it was quick and easy. Hope it helps someone.

Both @Boog and I start our bikes in quite cold weather -- never noticed any reluctance of the bike to start. [we both have 2014 Tourings]

I have swapped the Toyota starter and not failed to start yet, but it has gotten really cold yet either.

I almost clicked on one of those batteries from Amazon, but not having any problems yet. Was also looking at the Shorie, but they require a special charger, from what I can understand. Oh well, if one won't start, I have 5 others to try! Rode one of my Hardley Sportsters to the Diner today. BIG difference from the Rocket! Like many have said, right hand is for volume control! Ha!;)

Been there done that. More than a few times. Never had a problem getting the bike to start. Nether the Harley or the Rocket. Stock battery's but fresh ones. Bought a battery tender and the wife was reading the instructions with a puzzled look on her face. Asked her what was up? She responded with this thing is vehicles that sit for awhile "When in the $uck does that happen?"Enough said.:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Back