Are there concerns on positioning the Rocket3 GT while on a lift

I have the same lift and have used it several times to lift the bike, remove the rear tire, etc, and have had no problems. I place it so the bike is balanced front to back. I also do not strap it down (to where?) and don't use straps on either of my Harleys and have never had any issues with them either. Since there are three oil drain plugs on the R3, positioning the lift will be important if your task is to change the oil.
you should have some hooks for the strap in the lift....

Attachments

• where.png
    where.png
    423 KB · Views: 14
If you can access the cavity above your garage ceiling.....you can lay a steel box section, maybe 2"x 2" over the rafters on the truss above where you want to work on the bike. Drill two holes through the box section and insert a steel eye on a thread about 1/2" in diameter thru the ceiling and box section with washer and lock nut to hold them firmly in place and your'e good to go. It dosn't have to be a major job as its not intended to lift off...just to take the weight should you have a mishap....It takes the stress away from maybe the lift failing or a bloody earthquake happening while the bikes is up there.

If you can access the cavity above your garage ceiling.....you can lay a steel box section, maybe 2"x 2" over the rafters on the truss above where you want to work on the bike. Drill two holes through the box section and insert a steel eye on a thread about 1/2" in diameter thru the ceiling and box section with washer and lock nut to hold them firmly in place and your'e good to go. It dosn't have to be a major job as its not intended to lift off...just to take the weight should you have a mishap....It takes the stress away from maybe the lift failing or a bloody earthquake happening while the bikes is up there.
That would be preferred. In my case it's just a large eye bolt, washer, and nut going through a floor joist. As you said, it does not support the entire weight of the bike, but would take some in the event of a tip over or failure of the jack. Even in a worst case scenario it would take a tremendous amount of force to break the joist below the eye bolt.

I also chock the wheel that I am not working on. So, removing the front wheel, for example, I have some blocks under the rear so that when I crank on the axle the bike doesn't rock backwards. The important thing is to keep the bike stable and use a backup support in case the jack fails.

Btw, no need to jack the bike for oil changes. There's plenty of clearance. In that case I block the side stand so the bike is level and use a strap from a strong support on the left of the bike to the foot peg so it's impossible for the bike to tip over to the right- side stand would catch it to the left if the block were to be dislodged. I'd recommend doing something, anything, like this to prevent the bike from going over (doesn't take much with that long side stand) while you're laying under it trying to crack open one of the three drain bolts.
1660211065422.png

Back