any issues removing the tank?

hegels

Supercharged
I am going to have the tank painted soon and I want to make sure that there wont be any issues with the fuel gauge. Reading some previous threads the roadster uses the same ecu as the touring and I know some of the touring models have problems with the fuel gauge after being disconnected. should seem pretty straight forward just unbolt in front and back and disconnect right?

thanks,
Steve

You may just want to remove the whole fuel pump/float assembly from the tank, if you're getting it painted. Just prop the tank up, remove all the nuts holding the fuel pump/float assembly, remove the assembly from the tank and set it aside, then remove the hinge bolt on the back of the tank.

Yes.. you will have to get some fingers in there to keep the float lever from hanging, but other than that it slides out like in a car gas tank.

This thread has some excellent picture of the fuel pump and gauge sending unit.

http://www.r3owners.net/common-issues/2746-low-fuel-light-fix-pictures.html

You have to be very careful pulling the pump out so you don't damage the sending unit.

A tip when putting the pump back in. Loosely tie a shoe string around the sending unit arm to hold it against the pump/sending unit assembly frame. this will keep it from flopping around while you are installing everything back inside the tank. Guide the pump toward the left side of the tank.

Once it's inside carefully pull the string back out.

Iv'e have mine out twice. the string trip made the job a lot easier.

Back