antifreeze over flow

DaddyRabbit

Turbocharged
Ride
2006 Triumph Rocket III Classic
Haven't cranked up bike since my heart attack Dec. 18th 2016! Charged battery up yesterdat and cranked today. Ran the 12 minute tune after water started to circulate. Checked for leaks...... all looks good! Turned the bike off and returned a couple hour later ro an ounce or two antifreeze solution where it came out of the overflow! Is that normal after the bike sits for a 3 or 4 months?

Mine as well, a drop here or there, usually literally just 1 drop. It runs down the engine case and leaves a white line.

It's my R3's war paint!

Overflow bottles have a drain hose for the very reason, that they can't hold all that might overflow from time to time. But do make sure if you see some has got out, that you top up the bottle when the engine is cold, to the full cold mark. If you top up hot, fill to the hot mark and the radiator will suck it in when it cools down...if it needs it.

Haven't cranked up bike since my heart attack Dec. 18th 2016! Charged battery up yesterdat and cranked today. Ran the 12 minute tune after water started to circulate. Checked for leaks...... all looks good! Turned the bike off and returned a couple hour later ro an ounce or two antifreeze solution where it came out of the overflow! Is that normal after the bike sits for a 3 or 4 months?
Sorry to hear about your Heart Attack. Thats no fun at all. Been there, done that. Bake to the bike. Did the fan come on? I dont see that mentioned in your post. I wouldn't say that coolant overflowing out the overflow bottle is normal, regardless of how long the bike has sat around. Your cooling system is designed to maintain a certain capacity of coolant at all times. If there is an ounce or two every time you ride it or start it up, eventually there won't be enough coolant to keep it cool. I would ride it and make sure the fan is coming on. You can start the bike and let it idle like you are doing a 12 minute tune. The Fan should come on. If it doesn't you need to figure out that issue. Typically its as simple as a temp sender failure. Sometimes a ride is all it takes to keep it cool but I am thinking it is April and the temps are in the 50-60 degree area in NC.

Back