OIl over 6 Years Old

Mike Rocket

Rocket 3
Ride
2014 Rocket 3 Roadster
I have some Valvoline Fully Synthetic oil that has been stored for 6 years. It looks ok and is still in sealed containers. Has anybody used old oil like this. What are the views of the folks on this forum on this subject. I can find no use by date on the bottles and the Valvoline web site says nothing about end dates.
Until now i wasn't aware that oil went stale. Somebody has just mentioned it to me this week.
Any comments welcome please.

Last edited:
Might be a nice experiment. Send it off to a lab and test it maybe. Blackstone labs here in us does tests. Not sure about europe
Thanks. Yes i would like to know but it's not really worth paying to have it tested as i might as well buy brand new oil in that case.
As it's fully synthetic i thought it would not age in a sealed container.

Should be fine since the containers were sealed. I doubt they put a "best when used by" date on petroleum products so as long as it hasn't separated into it's constituent parts (like modern gasoline) it should be good to go.

Should be fine since the containers were sealed. I doubt they put a "best when used by" date on petroleum products so as long as it hasn't separated into it's constituent parts (like modern gasoline) it should be good to go.
Thats what i thought, as long as it's not separated in the container.
I have since read that Castrol and some other companies state 6 years. Valvoline do not and i have never seen any use by date on a can of oil., only a package date when it was canned.
You can only get any information when you start looking on their web sites.
Too much information i guess.
If it really mattered they should print it on the containers.

Back