Another timing chain tensioner thread

Rocket65

Supercharged
Only had R3 for 3 days. Trying to sort out rattle can noise. Ordered a shim from the dealer.
Took off the inspection cover and the plastic guide looks good (only 8900 miles) When you turn the wheel to the right you can look up in there pretty good. The chain seems to have no visible slack whatsoever when pushing on it on both sides. There is a bolt with a hex set screw? Is the problem with a spring that is weak behind that bolt and the shim pushes forward on the spring? What triggers the tensioner to move up a notch to tighten up for chain stretch?
Rattle can sound is mostly when the engine is not pulling, just sort of coasting. When pulling, the noise goes away. This would make sense for a loose chain I guess.
With the chain appearing to be very tight and that big plastic guide it does not look like the chain could ever slip a tooth. Am I worrying about a non issue? Guess I will install the shim when it comes in and what effect that has. I have read all of the previous threads on timing chain issues.

Back