Another newbie question

speedfrk

.060 Over
After two days of ownership my low fuel light came on, I stopped to fill her up, and it only took 3.5 gallons. What gives as I thought I read in my owners manual that my 08 R3 Classic has a 6.3 gallon fuel tank capacity and my low fuel light comes on when I still have almost a half a tank left. So what's the scoop? Thank you in advance.

The level in the tank on most all Rockets is not adjusted properly. You have to take the fuel pump/float assembly out of the tank and adjust the float arm.

For me, it's not worth the effort, unless you are doing something else. I've always used my trip meter for fuel anyways. I had mine about right last year when I was doing some other work, and then I took it to the dealer ( who was a great help other than this tidbit) who removed the fuel pump assembly to change the fuel filter, and when they put it back together, now my fuel light is on all the time, which means the float arm is stuck down... Some day I will fix it, but don't know when that will be.. lol

You could take it to the dealer and see if they will adjust it under warranty..? Or have them check it at the next service...

Mine goes at about 2/3 of tank gone. I did some calculations based on fuel consumption and tank size. My gas light comes on about 250km and I need to fill up before 330km.

I always reset my trip meter when I fill up to be sure. Whether it's a good habit or not, it's a habit and it hasn't let me down yet.

I took my fuel pump/ float assembly out a few years ago and adjusted the float arm. So that now when my low fuel light comes on I have alittle over one gallon left in the tank. But I still go by the miles per tank which is right around 175 miles when the low fuel light comes on. I feel safer to go by the miles per tank full than depending the low fuel light.

My light comes on a bit early I suppose (17 litres used) but it means I never get close to running out - I hate the distraction of the light.

Back