Another high idle .........

It's well known the older Rockets had inferior TPS's. Don't know how many miles on yours, nor your $$$ situation - But if your going to go to all that trouble, I'd spend the $130 & replace it. The replacement part is supposed to be improved over the ones made in 04 (I think I read that somewhere)

It's well known the older Rockets had inferior TPS's. Don't know how many miles on yours, nor your $$$ situation - But if your going to go to all that trouble, I'd spend the $130 & replace it. The replacement part is supposed to be improved over the ones made in 04 (I think I read that somewhere)

Thanks EasTex I have no problem fettling with the Rocket and trying to improve the way she rides ,just hate throwing money at a problem if not 99% sure its going to cure it! If the TPS is at fault why does it not throw a code on Tune ECU ?

I had a high idle problem on my 2004 III and i also use Tuneecu so i bought a new TPS from Fowlers and it solved the problem.

Thanks EasTex I have no problem fettling with the Rocket and trying to improve the way she rides ,just hate throwing money at a problem if not 99% sure its going to cure it! If the TPS is at fault why does it not throw a code on Tune ECU ?

I'm not smart enough re: electronics/computer to answer that :(
I just know that i've read tons of posts on this, and it solved my problem :thumbsup:

"Another simple test from TuneECU is to just look at what TPS value (look at the Voltage value) when the idle rpm is high - what does it read?"

From memory when running some tests on Tune ecu read zero at idle and climbs to about 4V when revved a little, does sound correct?

IF the tps is suppose to read .072 volts at idle and it is reading 1.86 (stuck) the the ecu reads 1.86 and just thinks u have the throttle open a little and there is not a problem so no code.
in theory decosse is right however in practice sometimes weird things happen.
over the years mine has done the high idle and the running like $hit at idle it has never done it at a convenient time to check it every time i cleared it up by working the throttle also spraying the linkages.

"Another simple test from TuneECU is to just look at what TPS value (look at the Voltage value) when the idle rpm is high - what does it read?"

From memory when running some tests on Tune ecu read zero at idle and climbs to about 4V when revved a little, does sound correct?

Dunno :(

IF the tps is suppose to read .072 volts at idle and it is reading 1.86 (stuck) the the ecu reads 1.86 and just thinks u have the throttle open a little and there is not a problem so no code.
in theory decosse is right however in practice sometimes weird things happen.
over the years mine has done the high idle and the running like $hit at idle it has never done it at a convenient time to check it every time i cleared it up by working the throttle also spraying the linkages.

Yea, that's worked for me too..........Until now :banghead:

99% sure of a fix for the Rocket III? Humm? :thumbsdown: Never seen that in one year of rocketeering. The price of a TPS 130$ and a few minutes or work. Your Rocket working properly, priceless. If that is not the problem, save the new or old TPS. You or someone else will need it.

Back