Another day in the garage (shaggy dog story)

Joesmoe

IMOKUR2
Ride
Triumph: 2014 Rocket III Touring
This may be my first post in BearClaw Corner . . . just felt like it.

My better half has been saying for a couple of weeks we should go ride the Rocket, in anticipation of our upcoming ride to Mt Airy, NC for MAYBERRY DAYS 2016 in a couple of weeks.

This weekend here has been the best of the season -- cold front pushed the tropical storm east, and we had beautiful skies, about 50% humidity, and comfortable temperatures.

Woke up this morning, thinking this will be a great day.

We were getting ready to go, and I needed to do "just one more thing." The headlight was staring up at the trees, unfinished business from my last bit of work in June.

I could get to the vertical adjuster bolt heads on the right, but there was too much additional wiring blocking the way to the nuts on the left side.

So I removed the plastic cover. Called my wife in, and she held the bike upright while I had a level and tape measure, and made the mark on the wall, and put the headlamp in the right place, and retightened the adjuster bolts, again with her help, holding the socket wrench on one side, while I worked the box end wrench on the other.

Pretty soon -- and we should be on our way.

I couldn't get the plastic cover to go back on, and in the process, exposed a slit in the connector hose from the coolant header tank to the radiator.

No problem I thought -- I'll just replace that hose -- but -- it really was in the way.

Call my wife again: she held the jug of antifreeze with a funnel while I tried to remove the header tank - but the lower bolt was blocked. And so was the upper bolt, for that matter.

I sent her back inside.

Off came the bearclaw.

Off came luggage rack with the newly attached Mutazu top box, complete with the wraparound backrest for HER.

Off came both panniers.

Off came the seats.

Off came the instrument cluster.

Raised the tank.

Ah, now I could access that lower bolt.

But the radiator cap was still in the way.

What size is that tiny lock bolt ? Look at my set of ignition wrenches (showing my age) and one is close enough.

Fluid was drained, and my better half agreed to go to the parts store for a short length of hose, plus screw-type clamps (to replace the spring clamps).

With everything out of the way, the plastic cover went back in a breeze.

Put everything back in reverse order.

Somewhere in there was breakfast, lunch and dinner, and it was too late to go out.

The headlights are aimed closer to where they should be now.

And a supportive spouse is truly a blessing.

That nudge nearly cost me a fortune but my Grizzly Adams beard, soft core teddy bear shape and I suspect previous employment just saved me a big fine and possible court appearance for XXX k in an 80 k zone on the Cotter River Rd about 10 minutes from home. Took about 10 minutes to do the computer checks on me and must have found my previous security clearance and access to Australian Federal Police HQ.

Was given a very pleasant caution and commentary on what a nice spring day it was for a ride but to keep it down as there have been a spate of m/cycle deaths in the area in the last couple of weeks. I like nice policemen :thumbsup::thumbsup::D

Back