Some might not believe us
Guy cut me off in a parking lot while i was making a turn let off of throttle and i was about half way to the pacement when he stopped so.i.hit the throttle the beast came right up.
Everyone loves to go fast but spending time doing slow work such as tight figure 8's and U-turns both left and right can come in handy in situations like yours. People that believe in putting their feet down could save their ankles if they practiced a little. It actually is kind of fun making tight U-turns as it boosts your confidence and your riding ability. Some believe in the old school tradition of walking their bikes in heavy traffic instead of keeping it upright and proceeding slowly with feet up. They're lazy. To each his own though.:thumbsup:

set an elevated throttle and hold it there, not screaming, but it should be up and steady, listen for it, keep the clutch in the friction zone, and lightly add some back brake, not hard just so you feel the pull, from the back. If you do this while traveling slow, you will have total control, and in a situation like the one you were in, because you have an elevated throttle, you have power available to you, all you need to do is slightly let the clutch out a bit, this will give it a little more grab and the bike will stand up right away. If you use this technique you can lock the steering all the way over one way or the other, and do circles all day without worrying about tipping over.
Think of it like stretching the bike out, if you have an elastic band between your hands and they are close together, the elastic is loose and sloppy, move your hands apart and it becomes tight and more solid. When you have an elevated throttle, and the clutch in the friction zone, you have this pulling the bike forward, the minute you lightly apply some rear brake, this is pulling backwards on the bike, so because you have the pulling forces working in opposite directions, it causes the bike to become more stable and it wants to be upright. If it starts to tip to far over, you let the clutch out slightly and it pulls you back up straight again, it feels weird until you get used to it.
Once you get the hang of it, and get comfortable, it becomes natural to really corner the bike and be comfortable with it, i have gone into corners doing 50-60Km/h and dragged the floor boards doing it, then went looking for the next corner to do it all over again. While playing around with slow speed maneuvers, i have had the bike over far enough to lift the floor board, and start scraping the frame that the floor board is connected to. I really need to stop doing that

Everyone loves to go fast but spending time doing slow work such as tight figure 8's and U-turns both left and right can come in handy in situations like yours. People that believe in putting their feet down could save their ankles if they practiced a little. It actually is kind of fun making tight U-turns as it boosts your confidence and your riding ability. Some believe in the old school tradition of walking their bikes in heavy traffic instead of keeping it upright and proceeding slowly with feet up. They're lazy. To each his own though.:thumbsup:
Totally agree. Also - that low speed turn... my foot is going to be feathering the rear brake pedal along with gas so I get that push-pull low speed traction going... if my foot is out I have no rear brake access which is, in my view, ALWAYS in use when I'm going that slow and getting maximum control between rear brake, and the clutch/throttle...

set an elevated throttle and hold it there, not screaming, but it should be up and steady, listen for it, keep the clutch in the friction zone, and lightly add some back brake, not hard just so you feel the pull, from the back. If you do this while traveling slow, you will have total control, and in a situation like the one you were in, because you have an elevated throttle, you have power available to you, all you need to do is slightly let the clutch out a bit, this will give it a little more grab and the bike will stand up right away. If you use this technique you can lock the steering all the way over one way or the other, and do circles all day without worrying about tipping over.
Think of it like stretching the bike out, if you have an elastic band between your hands and they are close together, the elastic is loose and sloppy, move your hands apart and it becomes tight and more solid. When you have an elevated throttle, and the clutch in the friction zone, you have this pulling the bike forward, the minute you lightly apply some rear brake, this is pulling backwards on the bike, so because you have the pulling forces working in opposite directions, it causes the bike to become more stable and it wants to be upright. If it starts to tip to far over, you let the clutch out slightly and it pulls you back up straight again, it feels weird until you get used to it.
Once you get the hang of it, and get comfortable, it becomes natural to really corner the bike and be comfortable with it, i have gone into corners doing 50-60Km/h and dragged the floor boards doing it, then went looking for the next corner to do it all over again. While playing around with slow speed maneuvers, i have had the bike over far enough to lift the floor board, and start scraping the frame that the floor board is connected to. I really need to stop doing that
You said exactly what was on my mind... I actually enjoy slow-speed traction control with this method... I feel naked at slow speeds without my foot feathering that rear brake...

You said exactly what was on my mind... I actually enjoy slow-speed traction control with this method... I feel naked at slow speeds without my foot feathering that rear brake...
this is one of the techniques i teach on the beginners course, and i'll lay out a small circle, a path with a few lefts and rights, a tight circle going the other way, maybe a figure 8, and something like a court, you drive in, make the circle and drive back out. The students might be on a Honda Grom, or a Rebel 300 (ergonomically, a S*** bike) maybe a CBR or CBF 125, 250 or 300, most times students figure out how to put it all together and make it through the exercise's, but every once in awhile you get students, or a class that figure it is to hard and that can't do it, the bikes are to big to do that stuff, a million excuses why they can't do it, in stead of figuring out how to do it
I love those moments, i specifically bring my touring to class for this reason, i will gather all the students together, so they can see everything on the course, then i go get my bike, and i proceed to go through everything i have laid out for them at anywhere from 3-5km/h, dragging the floor boards through most of it, then i come back to them and ask them specifically what the problem is, and why they can't do that, i usually get no responses and a class that suddenly gets its s*** together and suddenly listens properly and excels. Keeping in mind that there will always be some students that just take a little longer and need a little more one on one and encouragement to get the hang of putting all the elements together, but it is pretty cool when you see the light bulb suddenly go off, it all makes sense suddenly and then watch them go, that is why we teach, it sure isn't the money

Thanks, yesterday my first ride in Rocket3R.
I almost fell into a tight turn at low speed, instinctively I put my left foot on the ground feeling the great weight of the rocket, I got out thanks to the accelerator "and the spinach of the food ..." but it was clear to me that it was not the correct way . Thank you very much for your contributions. 👏👏 , learning every day

this is one of the techniques i teach on the beginners course, and i'll lay out a small circle, a path with a few lefts and rights, a tight circle going the other way, maybe a figure 8, and something like a court, you drive in, make the circle and drive back out. The students might be on a Honda Grom, or a Rebel 300 (ergonomically, a S*** bike) maybe a CBR or CBF 125, 250 or 300, most times students figure out how to put it all together and make it through the exercise's, but every once in awhile you get students, or a class that figure it is to hard and that can't do it, the bikes are to big to do that stuff, a million excuses why they can't do it, in stead of figuring out how to do it
I love those moments, i specifically bring my touring to class for this reason, i will gather all the students together, so they can see everything on the course, then i go get my bike, and i proceed to go through everything i have laid out for them at anywhere from 3-5km/h, dragging the floor boards through most of it, then i come back to them and ask them specifically what the problem is, and why they can't do that, i usually get no responses and a class that suddenly gets its s*** together and suddenly listens properly and excels. Keeping in mind that there will always be some students that just take a little longer and need a little more one on one and encouragement to get the hang of putting all the elements together, but it is pretty cool when you see the light bulb suddenly go off, it all makes sense suddenly and then watch them go, that is why we teach, it sure isn't the money
I just took the motorcycle safety class with two of my kids... mainly to give them moral support but I learned a few reminders and things too.. but our class instructor did not offer this technique... which was kind of disappointing, though everything else in the class was great and on point.. but I used it for the tight corner exercises and pylons. It's just sooo much easier once you get in habit. So its good to see you are encouraging that technique for beginners.

I just took the motorcycle safety class with two of my kids... mainly to give them moral support but I learned a few reminders and things too.. but our class instructor did not offer this technique... which was kind of disappointing, though everything else in the class was great and on point.. but I used it for the tight corner exercises and pylons. It's just sooo much easier once you get in habit. So its good to see you are encouraging that technique for beginners.
something i found that helped me a lot was taking a specific slow to moderate speed course where you used this procedure all day in tight turns, figure eights and such where you needed to lock the steering over and hold it there, in the U.S. i think they call it bike rodeo's where the HD deckers and HD police bikes seem to be the ride of choice. Here where I am it was called MotorCycle Masters they do the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) Golden Helmets training. The first warning they give you when signing up is, be prepared to drop your bike, and we all did, multiple times but by the end of the day we were doing some crazy stuff, everyone was dragging floorboard and footpeg with no concern. When you get used to how it feels to have the bike drop once, twice, or thrice, you realize it isn't that bad, the picking the bike up routine isn't to bad either once you learn it, but it is still a little harder with these bikes as they tip over a little farther then an HD or GW

something i found that helped me a lot was taking a specific slow to moderate speed course where you used this procedure all day in tight turns, figure eights and such where you needed to lock the steering over and hold it there, in the U.S. i think they call it bike rodeo's where the HD deckers and HD police bikes seem to be the ride of choice. Here where I am it was called MotorCycle Masters they do the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) Golden Helmets training. The first warning they give you when signing up is, be prepared to drop your bike, and we all did, multiple times but by the end of the day we were doing some crazy stuff, everyone was dragging floorboard and footpeg with no concern. When you get used to how it feels to have the bike drop once, twice, or thrice, you realize it isn't that bad, the picking the bike up routine isn't to bad either once you learn it, but it is still a little harder with these bikes as they tip over a little farther then an HD or GW
yeah the instructor suggested I come back with my bike and take the advanced course... he said just that you'll be scraping pegs in the parking lot. I think I'll go and do it ... don't really want to drop my beautiful new rocket though.. but it won't stop me from doing it.

Back