A thought on engine oil type . . .

Ah yes - good OLD Castrol-R - known as Castrol-Ahhhhhhhhh - smells like fried bacon.

I still have a half dozen quarts of it in the garage.
I used to run it in my lawn mower and edger just to enhance the chore!!!
I remember it cost like an exorbitant $8.00 a quart back in the early 70s.

I still have a half dozen quarts of it in the garage.
I used to run it in my lawn mower and edger just to enhance the chore!!!
I remember it cost like an exorbitant $8.00 a quart back in the early 70s.
A few years ago - I ran my LandRover on Sunflower oil instead of Diesel. Back then it was less than half the price of diesel.
Everybody called it the CHURRO-mobile. Smelled like a Churro stand. Or a chip shop (for the Brits)

CD48060A-80DB-4192-9E79-FD9D1F03AC3F.jpeg
This is what I use! No issues so far! EVO is much better than regular olive oil!

Too expensive

just my opinion
i guess we all think a motor will run on almost any oil.
being old school i always thought that the new motors that was close tolerance took thinner oil (5-20) and the old clunkers with 200000 miles took the thicker oil (50w)

as far as a wet clutch my opinion is that the factories set them up to use a certain friction clutch and u have a certain (springs or hydraulic pressure)pressure to hold them

there fore they put friction modifiers in the oil to allow the clutch to apply smooth and not be chattering or abrupt on engagement.

example
the older dodges when the atf had gone bad when it went into lock up (transmission converter applies clutch to make run 1 to 1 ratio) it give a clutch chatter and new atf would solve the prob.

now if u was to remove the modifiers might be great for racing that clutch would grab like a mf on take off and every shift but probably not worth a $hit driving around town.

if u want to go ahead and put motor oil and report back i may be all wet(clutch):D

Back