A thought on engine oil type . . .

Hype, this "motorcycle oil" stuff is hype. Our bikes have a CAR ENGINE stuffed onto a bicycle frame. Call it what you want to but it's still a car engine!
Nope. You are wrong.

It is a UNIT construction engine with shared engine, transmission and clutch: dry sump oiling system.

I have not seen any car with shared transmission and engine lubrication.
Have not seen any car with a dry sump.
Automatic transmission clutches are lubricated but ONLY with transmission grade lubricants - manual box clutches are dry. Many manual gearboxes also specify ATF as lubricant.

The issue with non transmission/clutch rated oil in unit engines is NOT a new one. Ditto additives.
I can recall the general upset back in the 80's with stuff like Slik50.

You are absolutely right but the big difference is that car engines and transmissions/clutches do not use the same oil. That is why the antifriction modifiers in car oil is considered a bad thing for motorcycles, you are putting those anti friction components into your clutch oil. You do what you want, it is your bike. I will continue using motorcycle specific oil.

bob
Yeah but that engineer said . . .

<<All gasoline engines can use superior automotive gasoline engine oils, as long as an acceptable viscosity is used. And in the case of wet clutch motorcycles, as long as their clutches are in good condition.>>

That's been my experience for the last 35 years and 10 different motorcycles. I have always run "car oil" without any issues. Granted though, rarely did I keep a bike past 20,000 miles.

Nope. You are wrong.

It is a UNIT construction engine with shared engine, transmission and clutch: dry sump oiling system.

I have not seen any car with shared transmission and engine lubrication.
Have not seen any car with a dry sump.
Automatic transmission clutches are lubricated but ONLY with transmission grade lubricants - manual box clutches are dry. Many manual gearboxes also specify ATF as lubricant.

The issue with non transmission/clutch rated oil in unit engines is NOT a new one. Ditto additives.
I can recall the general upset back in the 80's with stuff like Slik50.
Over many years I have used "car oil" in motorcycles without issues.

That engineer said . . .
All gasoline engines can use superior automotive gasoline engine oils, as long as an acceptable viscosity is used. And in the case of wet clutch motorcycles, as long as their clutches are in good condition.

There is a guy on the roadstar forum who has put 200,000 miles on his roadstar using Rotella 15-40 Diesel engine oil. No transmission problems noted.

This "motorcycle oil" gig is simply a marketing gouge.

There is a guy on the roadstar forum who has put 200,000 miles on his roadstar using Rotella 15-40 Diesel engine oil. No transmission problems noted.
As has been mentioned elsewhere - Oils formulated for Turbo Diesels work fine. As my cars are all Turbo Diesels - well ...........................

Most turbo diesel engine oils are certified for motorcycles. Just check the Jaso and API ratings. (Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 is certified for example).

IMG_1895.jpg
Not buying this as attributed to oil.
Too many thousands of motors use Mobile 1 4T successfully, including my R3R.

After reading that independent test report, it seems that the vaunted Mobil I 4T motorcycle racing oil is really nothing special at all. Actually it was pretty pathetic, far down on the testing results.

Most turbo diesel engine oils are certified for motorcycles. Just check the Jaso and API ratings. (Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 is certified for example).
That is exactly what I am heading to the store to get today. I am convinced that the thinner oil is what's best for our rocket engines.

As has been mentioned elsewhere - Oils formulated for Turbo Diesels work fine. As my cars are all Turbo Diesels - well ...........................
Heck, my old 300SD refuses to quit. I wish Triumph had made this engine as a turbo Diesel. Then we could just run Diesel oil and sleep well at night, ending this debate. Lol.

You are absolutely right but the big difference is that car engines and transmissions/clutches do not use the same oil. That is why the antifriction modifiers in car oil is considered a bad thing for motorcycles, you are putting those anti friction components into your clutch oil. You do what you want, it is your bike. I will continue using motorcycle specific oil.

bob
Any "car oil" that does NOT say "energy conserving" does NOT have friction modifiers and will not harm a wet clutch. I used to run (35 years ago) Castrol gtx 20-50 in my GS1150 and drag raced with it. I abused that engine and it was literally bulletproof.

Back