A Few Mods.............Carbon and Otherwise

Duncan

.020 Over
Ok guys just got done with a "few " mods to the machine and thought I'd share some pics as I know we all like pictures !!
Anyway what started off as a few little things soon evolved into a few more things.......well you know how it goes.:).
Being as I'm from frugal (scottish) ancestory I deecided to skin some parts with carbon fiber rather than try and do the whole vacuum molding deal,(might have a go at that later though ) so one thing led to another and off I went !!!! Did the fork seal covers and thought hey this ain't so bad and before I knew it had done the radiator end caps and the side panels......then came that pesky horn cover !!!!! (some might call it a fairing) that was quite a chore,first modifying the fiberglass,then skinning it,not real happy with it but hell its riding time,it doesn't stand up to close inspection, but at 100mph + its hard to see the imperfections.... hahaha :D. Not finished with it yet but road testing it first to make sure it all holds up.I do realise its not anywhere near the "Carbon Dry" quality of the parts that where allready on it but I was just trying to get a little "flow" through the bike style wise as it where....
Also changed out the bars and added the bar end turn signals and mirrors and made a new tag bracket with a double row LED light set up. And with the help of a friend powder coated several parts here and there.
Anyway got her all back to together and went for the initial test flight .......all was going well until I decided to see how all that turbo boost felt one more time,...........and oops bike suddenly feels all funny ( not funny ha ha either !!!!! :confused: ) and when I shut her down to park and check things out she dies. **** ! upon further inspection it would seem one of the clamps holding the intake to the manifold box wasn't as snug as it might should have been and all that pressure (like 4lbs boost) popped it right off which makes for very unhappy engine performance. Anyway all fixed and reattatched and about 100 miles more of "scientific" testing all seems well.

Still got lots of mods popping in my head,but will try and resist major ones til the end of the summer. ( Header,Forks,Engine)

And yes guys as soon as I wear out these 2 back tires I have I'll be going to the "Dark Side"

Must...... make....... more....... things ......... black (think Lonnies getting to me !! )

So captains what do you think,so far ??

DSC00286.jpg

DSC00285.jpg

DSC00282.jpg

wow!! very nice all around!! questions did you design and built the fairing? or is it available somewhere and two what is the exhaust pipe snaking under the pillion seat for (if it is the exhaust) did you put the turbo under your seat?

Its a Bikini Twin Headlight fairing by a company called Skidmarx, an English Company I believe.I got it through Streetfighters by Design.Stock it has two large cutouts for turn signal brackets which I filled in with fiberglass before finishing it with the carbon.
Oh and yes the turbo is below the seat ...kinda its right behind the engine in front of the back wheel,that is the exhaust which exits under the seat....may change it later.

My kind of project Duncan, great!!

How did you skin the carbon? just epoxi and heating? One layer? varnish?

Looking really cool, good work:cool:

Duncan, really nice work your Rocket looks mean:)
How much does that fairing cost? did it just come primed?
How do you like the Turbo?

To answer the questions the Carbon Fiber I bought as a kit from Carbon Mods UK. and I think the basic large kit was base coat,clear resin (topcoat) some polishing compound and a metre square sheet of carbon fiber + mixing cups ,sticks etc,want to say it was about $120.00 delivered. And a friendly tip for anyone whos going to do this when applying the top resin coats allways go over the part with a Hair dryer or heat gun,the carbon weave tends to hold little itsy bitsy air bubbles that you will find later!!!! hot air makes em pop right out.
The fairing was right around $250.00 from David at Streetfighters by design,he's a great guy to deal with.He didn't have it but once I told him what it was ...no problem.It came as a basic black gel coat type finish I think .
The turbo is awesome,never had one before but it sure is exciting when you just got to get going,very useable on the bike, you can still ride it like a big old cruiser but when you need that little extra ooomph........well that sure is nice too.It pulls like a train anytime you ask it to and in any gear. Not sure about the exhaust system may be changing some stuff this winter.

Duncan,
Appreciate the advice on the drying of the mat,
wouldn't mind trying some of this myself.

What do I think?

I like everything you did except the bearclaw.
Doesn't "flow" like the rest of the bike.
That cutout just ain't right, especially with that cover under it.

Now keep in mind,
I think you did an excellent job on your tank and the rest of it,
Just not the claw, it just don't work for me.

But hey, opinions are like the weather around here,
and as long as you like it, thats all that matters.

Hey Skip appreciate the input,you are correct about the "flow" lacking right there. That "Carbon Dry" tank cover system was obviously designed for a stock bearclaw.The intake box does'nt fill the space correctly and its on my "next winter" list, I did powder coat the bare aluminum box to make it not stick out as much,but a whole new box was not viable at this time,its a pretty tricky little undertaking........but I'll be on it.:)
Thinking about getting Lon to do a litttle lazer etch on it in an arc to follow the contour....hmm.

Back