Manic_Mechanic

Turbocharged
Ride
05 Rocket
Ok, finally got around to swapping injectors between the first and third throttle bodies. The problem stayed at the #3 position which lead me to believe that the problem is related to a sensor. Hooked up tuneECU and watched the diagnostics. I was trying to ballance the tb's but had no luck getting #3 close to one and two. I switched over to the middle tab in the program and monitored the injector pulse width. Here I found that one and two were close to 4.5 but three was staying at 3.5
This would explain why the engine runs so well at higher rpm's when the f/l switch kicks in and the metering is controlled by t.p.s and rpm and the m.a.p has no bearing on the mixture.
It appears that the e.c.u. controls each injector individually which I did not expect due to the fact that all three vacuum lines converge into one sensor. If I gradually pinched off the vacuum line from #3 TB I could see the pulse width ride up like cheap underwear and the idle smoothed out as well.
Now the only thing left is to pull the throttle body and check for a bad o-ring or some other seal. If this doesn't remedy the problem then I'm checking valve clearances.
Any input or comment is invited and welcomed.

Would be interesting to know if the map sensor samples on each intake stroke for each cylinder. This would enable it to read the values for each cylinder, and If it does, it could still be a blocked map pipe.

The MAP sensor samples at a very high rate. WHat is displayed by the ECU diagnostics in TuneECU is an averaged signal. The ECU determines when a cylinder is on the intake stroke by the signal from each throttle bore. Then the crank angle signal is used to determine which cylinder is at what crank angle.

I hope this helps.

Well the tb oring is fine on #3 and the vac line is ok.
Guess its time to check the intake valves.
I would like to know what a normal value is for the pulse width.

Back