76th Annual Sturgis Rally Cancelled

That's a shame, I was hoping to go see the insanity one of these days.

Maybe next April 1'st they'll change their mind. Or perhaps even on April 2nd... this year. ;)

I copied the article for you guys look at the end Like IAN says

City still recouping from the 75th Annual Sturgis® Motorcycle Rally™
Sturgis, SD – The 75th Annual Sturgis® Motorcycle Rally™ left its mark on the Black Hills in 2015. With DOT estimates at around 500,000 people and attendance estimates at 700,000 people, the small town of Sturgis and the surrounding cities are still trying to recoup their resources.

btn-emailupdates.png
Earlier this week, after careful deliberation, the decision was made to cancel the 2016 Annual Sturgis® Motorcycle Rally™ in an effort to allow the town of Sturgis, SD and surrounding cities build up resources for the 2017 Annual Sturgis® Motorcycle Rally™.

"We really felt this was the best option moving forward. Yes, it’s a shame that we won’t be having the 76th this year, but when we sat down and discussed the potential for the following year, it just made sense," confirmed a committee source who wishes to remain anonymous.

"Look, I’ve been a part of this for the last 20 years, all of us on the committee know how the Rally operates. Sturgis and its businesses will have a chance to stock up on supplies, and we really feel that after skipping a year, attendance will increase in 2017."

It was reported that, after the 75th Annual Sturgis® Motorcycle Rally™, local businesses had to wait months before they were able to receive essential supplies like beer and toilet paper.

One business owner said, "People weren’t in line on Black Friday for deals on electronics, they were standing in line for beer. It was the first time we were fully stocked since August. Don’t even get me started on the toilet paper situation."

In addition to a drain on supplies and resources, clean-up efforts are still ongoing. Barbara Gordon, whose father is police commissioner in another city said, "I don’t mind the rally, but I still have skid marks on the street in front of my house from burnout contests. It’s April for crying out loud. I don’t know how many times the street cleaner has been over that spot, but it just hasn’t gone away. I think a year off is a good way to get the city in tiptop shape for 2017."

Currently, there’s been little backlash about skipping the 76th Annual Sturgis® Motorcycle Rally™. However, the bigger question on everyone’s mind is: What will they call the rally in 2017? "That’s one of the topics for discussion right now," said the anonymous committee member.

"Do we call the Rally in 2017 the 76th Annual Sturgis® Motorcycle Rally™, or do we just go straight to the 77th Annual Sturgis® Motorcycle Rally™? Can we still call it ‘annual’ after we’ve skipped a year? Who knows? If skipping the Rally this year works out like we plan, maybe we’ll consider holding the Sturgis® Motorcycle Rally™ every other year. The possibilities are truly endless."

April Fools from your friendly neighborhood Rally Events Office. SEE YOU IN AUGUST!
Last Modified: 04/01/2016 4:35:02 pm MDT

Back

Categories
By Year
By Month

Last edited:
There's also a footer on the page in bold that has more details about the cancellation.

Back