markc, I recall having the same question regarding the .020 clearance statement. What they are saying is, by the time you have installed the shock and the hardware (the bolts that hold it on), there should be approximately .020 clearance between the outer face of the rubber grommet and the closest face of the hardware assuring it stays in place, be that a washer or the flat face of the capscrew. In our case, a washer will not fit on the stem provided on the Rocket frame, just the capscrew. No sleeves required either.

If I recall, there was "no" air space between the rubber grommet & capscrew when I put mine on but I was told by a reliable source that the lack of air space was not an issue (the capscrew pushed against the grommet slightly). When the swing arm moves up and down due to bumps and such, the angle of the shock relative to its position when static (parked and not moving) is so minor that the forgiveness on the rubber grommet is all that is necessary to allow the device (shock) to work properly.

In closing, put the shocks on and use the same hardware that held the stock shocks on, tighten properly & you're done. Take one stock shock off, the Progressive shocks should look exactly the same as the stock one as far as hardware is concerned: no metal sleeve, no extra washer, no extra anything, just the Progressives out of the box.

See ya.

Last edited:
On a related note, the rubber bushings on my progressive shocks are now perished. Anyone know are these available as replacements ?.

How long did they last Haket? Sounds like lots of us will be needing them before long if they aren't too substantial.

Back