25000miles plunger drop of 24mm

bebsy

Finicky
Ride
2006 Triumph R3
A word for the wise
Bikes running perfect thanks again for the input with my clutch fix, today I decided to check the cam plunger to my shock horror it was 24mm with only 25000 miles I read it tops out at 25mm so not much point putting a spacer??? bikes has no issues rattles or the likes just left me feeling abit concerned as I'm off on a 7 day trip, I know it's on me but would it be safe to say if the tensioner maxed out at 25mm it's still good to go? In this photo can anyone tell me if they are upgraded runners or not.

Cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200303_153530_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20200303_153530_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 41
Hard to see right with the pic but it looks like you have the superseded chain guides dude

Newest ones are T1142055 and T1142048, I believe

Have you taken out the chain and measured it as per manual?

Tensioner drop might be due to worn guides, but your chain could also be stretched

Hard to see right with the pic but it looks like you have the superseded chain guides dude

Tensioner drop might be due to worn guides, but your chain could also be stretched

Thanks a lot mate
Well I guess that narrows it down to a 50/50 chance hoping that it's just the guides are worn, as that check was an after thought and all is back together and ready to go, I will change the chain and guides when I get back in good time for the delivery providing I don't roll up on a low loader needing a basket full off extra internals lol

Forgot to mention in the pic below is the copper threaded bit we're the spring seats on the bolt for adjustment?
Also I've searched high and low for the torque spec to nip it back up if anyone has it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200303_150246_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20200303_150246_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 27
Forgot to mention in the pic below is the copper threaded bit we're the spring seats on the bolt for adjustment?
Also I've searched high and low for the torque spec to nip it back up if anyone has it.
Ok the brass threaded bit is only there for new installation the pluger and spring is heald in compressed condition until they get installed on the assembly line when cam chains are put in. When you tighten the center nut it realeases the plunger and it snaps in from the spring pressure being released. After that its useless. If it were me and the bike was closed up. I would order one of Nevs manual tensioner's open the cam cover and hold the cam chain guide in place with a pry bar or large screw driver probably a flat blade. To as not to lose chain tension and cam timing and install the manual tensioner. Then ride and have fun. If you still have it open then that makes it easier to install. Just my 3.5 cents worth.

Back