2019 Retrospective - The Year in Review

That brought back old memories -
When I was a kid in grades 4 - 8, these Tareyton commercials were not stop. The ones with the bite outta the straw hat were especially prevelant. When I started sucking fags at 20 years, it was Tareyton.
Three years later when the cancer warnings came, I quit cigs for good, crumpling and tossing a half pack of them on a bet.

Hey 'Hoverboy', was that when they 'came out' and well before Hitler emerged to bankrupt them in 1962?;):D:cool:

I reckon they got there facts wrong below or you are older than we thought Steve!;):p:D

Or maybe you started much earlier like the rest of us - 11 for me :(:rolleyes::whitstling:

It is always amazing when we see what dumb things people believed back then but then you think of now and just shrug!:(:banghead:

Read through to the last line:eek:

Test: who was the "smoking zombie"?

Hoverboy and Hitler Cigarettes!
tareyton-cigarettes.jpg

Back in the Fifties, you were allowed to advertise cigarettes to children.

People might remember Tareyton Cigarettes as the brand that went bankrupt due to an urban legend back in the 60’s. A rumor convinced people that the Tareyton company was a front for Adolph Hitler, who was living in Argentina and running a tobacco empire to finance an army to re-take Europe. The only evidence for this was the unfortunate design of their company mascot, “Wagner” seen on the cigarette packs themselves, but it was enough to destroy sales when the gossip got around.

Admittedly, the design choices are unfortunate.

Before the company coughed up its last lung in 1962, it was one of the main sponsors of Hoverboy’s Gay Cavalcade, and the cast dutifully did commercials for the product, just as other shows did at the same time.

This was a KID'S SHOW! Seriously!

The Flintstones did it. Everybody did it. It was a different era.

Go here to see this bizarre moment of children’s advertising from the fifties: Hoverboy shilling cigarettes to kids. Stunning, just stunning.

Of just press the image above to launch the video at youtube...I can't embed video on this blog, yet.

And we all thought Joe Camel was evil.

Ty the Guy OUT!
Here now, your Hoverboy Cigarettes Comic Book Moment:

The smoking zombie in the lower right of this cover caused a Senate sub-committee to label Hoverboy #3 as "subversive" and "leading to juvenile delinquency" in 1953, but the TV version of Hoverboy was ADVERTISING cigarette products without complaint at the same time. It's a crazy world, huh?

Last edited:
Back