2014 final drive

Thanks the one I was getting got sold so I'm going to rebuild mine I've got the seal will check bearings when I open it up
Is it possible to split the final drive unit to replace the seal, as i have seen somebody on you tube trying to do it and they failed to pull it apart even with a hydraulic puller.
They were a mechanic and i think they gave up. If you do get it apart can you tell us how you do it. It seems the makers make it as difficult as possible so you cannot fix it yourself.

@Twattybob Please read the previous page on the thread. The beauty of this site is that information is relatively easily found, instead of asking people to post multiple times.

Enjoy.

Is it possible to split the final drive unit to replace the seal, as i have seen somebody on you tube trying to do it and they failed to pull it apart even with a hydraulic puller.
They were a mechanic and i think they gave up. If you do get it apart can you tell us how you do it. It seems the makers make it as difficult as possible so you cannot fix it yourself.

see post #15

it might be nice if u r going to work on the final drive to know the miles on the bike where it is leaking (pinion seal or the inside seal)
if it was run out of lube may not be able to repair:sick:
for those that have the touring my guess would be the gears r different but the seals/bearings would be the same

BUMP
just taught i would update this thread with i have learned.
if it is leaking that means that the bearings are wore out and a new seal will not stop the leak.
it has to have zero end play in the pinion gears that means if you stand the final drive up and you can put a screw driver in at the collar and pry if it moves at all the bearings are bad.
just info
the smaller (earlier) spline collar has a good grove/ring around the middle of the collar
and the ones with out the grove/ring has the larger spline and takes the larger spline drive shaft.
i am in the process of working one one but it will be the last one i touch.

if you figure on just the pinion with new bearings then there is a sleve in there to set the preload/spacing so where would i get one if was to loose to tight and i could cut.
takes a special pinion nut socket to go down inside to remove and tigthen.
also the libility would be great on a bike that can do 150 mph.

BUMP
just taught i would update this thread with i have learned.
if it is leaking that means that the bearings are wore out and a new seal will not stop the leak.
it has to have zero end play in the pinion gears that means if you stand the final drive up and you can put a screw driver in at the collar and pry if it moves at all the bearings are bad.
just info
the smaller (earlier) spline collar has a good grove/ring around the middle of the collar
and the ones with out the grove/ring has the larger spline and takes the larger spline drive shaft.
i am in the process of working one one but it will be the last one i touch.
I guess that would be me.....

Back