2008 ROCKET 3 TOURING WON'T START

bikingforliking06

Standard Bore
Hello all:

I am looking for suugestion on what might be wrong with my rocket. I just got back from holidays and let the bike sit for a couple of days and when i went to start it there was the starter clicking only once and then nothing. I took the battery to a local honda dealer and they checked the battery and indicated it was good. They suggest I arched the solinoid to get it going so they can have a look at it. I am confident that the local dealer can solve the problem as the nearest triumph dealer is 600 miles away. Any suggestion on what the problem is and how do i get to the solinoid would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance

Check the leads..... no short, no blown fuses. Not a good practice but a slight tap on the starter - I have been known to use my palm.... doesn't leave a mark for warrenty issues..
lastly did you do a search of start issues on this site, previous knwledge is a big thing.

sounds like a loose connection on the starter solenoid to me, especially if you've just done a big ride, trace the really thick cable and you'll find the solenoid, check the connections are tight on it

this might sound like a "DUH" solution..... but it happened to me....

check that the battery leads are tight

if they're not everything will light up, but as soon as you try to pull some real power to start the thing it will just arc and the bike won't start

I had the same problem although it was intermittant. Checked everything. Replaced the battery. Same problem. Replaced the battery again with an Oddyssey PC625 - problem gone. The cold cranking amps from an Oddysey are huge compared to an ordinary lead acid battery.

Back