12 minute tune ?

quietman

.020 Over
can you folks tell me about the "12 minute tune" and when it's needed ?
is it used when doing exhaust mods, or is it just after disconnecting the battery ? :?

tune

I never disconnect my battery. After a mod, I ride the hell out of it, to make sure its going to work.
rockenrobert
gotta see the world, it will only take a minute

Rockenrobert couldn't resist the chance to talk s--t. Don't blame him, but quietman you still need an answer. The computer on the RIII is clever. It analyzes data from the O2 sensor and makes adjustments, very small ones in the fuel injection 'map' which is a program that tells the injector how much gas to give at what rpm in what gear. The fine tuning of this will change very slightly with altitude, barometric pressure and temperature. The RIII figures this out and does what is necessary to get the best tune. If you ride around all the time at the beach, (sealevel) then trailer your bike to, say, Denver Colorado, it won't be perfect. Probably not too bad and it will correct itself over the next several hours of running, but you can reset it to the default setting with the twelve minute tune.
Start the bike from cold, let it idle without any touch of the throttle at all. When it gets warm the radiator fans will turn on. Start timing it then and you can turn it off after it idles, untouched for twelve minutes after the fans come on. You will almost never need this. I did do it after I had been playing with the intake and had run the bike with the air intake temperature sensor hanging loose over the engine. It was reading engine heat, not intake air temp and after about 2 hours or so it began to run pretty lousy. I put it all back stock, (except the secondary plates) and did the twelve minute tune, all was forgiven.

Back