12 Min tune Information

mav68

.020 Over
Howdy Boys!!
I am currently Running Tors, cat bypass underseat K&N and iridium plugs.I have the triumph source tune circa June 2005 for that config which I am quite happy with. Bike runs straight up to 140mph indicated some popping on idle decel which reminds me I am being a ***** for backing off. No idle or starting issues in 2years. I am doing a dyno run this week and was then going to put on new slip on mufflers sourced from Japan and what appears to be new throttle body plates for inlet manifold. Manufacture advertising 30% increase in torque. Hoping to stick with same triumph tune.
Dyno man recommends doing runs on same day close together for best comparison.
I was wondering will I need to do a 12min tune bewteen runs?
How do I do the 12min tune?
Do I need to let the bike cool right down?
Does the 12 min timing start from engine running or thermo fan kicking on?
Any answers suggestions appreciated.
Will post results for those of you interested.
Cheers Mav68

Fiddling

You are doing a lot of fiddling with no shop manual. The shop manual tells you, in detail how to do the 12 minute tune but here it is;

Start the bike with the starter. Don't touch the twist grip throttle, just the starter button.

Allow the bike to warm up and the cooling fan to come on.

Leave the bike idle for 12 minutes after the cooling fan has come on the first time. It may cycle more than once.

That puts the electronics in the adaptive mode.

If you did a search for 12 minute tune on this site, yo'd find a bunch of stuff.

Since you are going to be on the dyno I would monitor the A/F ratio. I bet you are going to be very lean. I would explore getting a PCIII or Tuneboy.

Thanks for the advice guys. Found the speil hidden away in the manual on the 12 minute tune. Will be definitaly running a gas annylizer during dyno run to see how it fares. Really hoping to stick with stock ECM will see what happens. Stay TuneCheers Mav

Iridium spark plugs have an iridium electrode which is just a high end plug. Meant to give brighter stronger spark and last a lot longer than a normal spark plug. Kinda glad I changed the plugs cause I had 2 from factory that were not torqued correctly and appeared finger tight.
Mav

No Mav68, what flavor? Vanilla, chocolate, NKG, Bosch, strawberry.. Oh sorry, that would be brand and flavor, if you add the numerical designation. My bad:p

Last edited:
Sorry Mate NGK. I have since heard fom dyno tuner he rekcons Spitfires are better plugs

NGK with the BR8EIX flavor according to http://www.ngk.com/results_appOther.asp?otherMotiveID=226747&mfid=1

I'm an advocate of Bosch Platinum 2 or 4. I've had remarkable performance increases on a couple of my cagers. They've also a Ir Fusion flavor but no cross reference to the BR8 yet, or for that matter no cross references for motorcycle applications for the Platinum plugs either; at least none that I've found.

The expected long life of the Iridium plug, assumed from heat range and hardness level, is most thought provoking.

I've used the Splitfires in my 1400 Intruder. I didn't notice any performance change.

Just what is the 12-minute tune supposed to do?

What does "adaptive mode" mean?

After the 12 minutes is up are you supposed to do anything other than shutdown?

Back