My usual motorcycle mechanic (when not on warranty) advises not wasting money on valve adjustments unless the bike is showing some symptoms.
This makes sense, but many are saying symptoms may not be there. I say if not there there is no problem. Maybe I am missing something vital.
Thanks for the input man. We need as much info on new rockets as we can get.

This makes sense, but many are saying symptoms may not be there. I say if not there there is no problem. Maybe I am missing something vital.
Thanks for the input man. We need as much info on new rockets as we can get.

valves to loose it will rattle no prob to catch b4 trouble
valves to tight can burn the valves result needs head job.
if the new rockets r like the old then probably not a problem to stretch the check time.
it is all a gamble mine at 52000 i think will need a timing chain b4 it needs the shims changed

valves to loose it will rattle no prob to catch b4 trouble
valves to tight can burn the valves result needs head job.
if the new rockets r like the old then probably not a problem to stretch the check time.
it is all a gamble mine at 52000 i think will need a timing chain b4 it needs the shims changed
But too tight will have symptoms like hard to start, drop in mpg, no?

But too tight will have symptoms like hard to start, drop in mpg, no?
if the clearance was a negative .001 then the compression would be escaping probably thru the exhaust valves it would still run pretty good but it would be blowing that burning gases by the valve and it would burn a notch in the valve. once it has a notch burned in it it will start to miss.
now u might notice an unusual sound in the exhaust b4 it burns or not

if the clearance was a negative .001 then the compression would be escaping probably thru the exhaust valves it would still run pretty good but it would be blowing that burning gases by the valve and it would burn a notch in the valve. once it has a notch burned in it it will start to miss.
now u might notice an unusual sound in the exhaust b4 it burns or not
So you may not have symptoms like poor gas mileage, hard to start?

Well I’ve turned past the 10 grand mark and all is well. I did the rear brake bleed recall just for safety even though I had no issues. I’m still very much in love with the bike. I just put on my third rear tire.:rolleyes: Both generations of Rockets eat rear tires but I love it. Who else has high miles on the 2.5l bikes?
My 2020 GT just rolled over 30k miles.. Ride pretty conservatively and get about 9 k from the rear tire, but i also NEVER used the back brake since
the GT has linked brakes and a portion of the stopping power goes to the rear with most to the front. With all the torque this bike makes it helps
to not add to the wear and tear on the tire by using the proportioning front brake only. Triumph says its 60/40 front vs rear actuation.

My 2020 GT just rolled over 30k miles.. Ride pretty conservatively and get about 9 k from the rear tire, but i also NEVER used the back brake since
the GT has linked brakes and a portion of the stopping power goes to the rear with most to the front. With all the torque this bike makes it helps
to not add to the wear and tear on the tire by using the proportioning front brake only. Triumph says its 60/40 front vs rear actuation.
Im a bit over 33,000 miles now.

You liked didn’t you? It ain’t no 200+ hp but it’s sweet.
I keep eying the new Rockets and starting to think about it way too much (ug-oh...). I'd really like to hear how you guys compare your previous Rocket to the new one- performance, handling, etc. Once out of warranty are they similar to work on, or do you need an electrical engineering degree?

I like to tour/camp and it doesn't look like the newer models (even the GT) will accommodate as much gear as the Roadster with standard saddlebags. I don't think that I've seen one heavily loaded down for a long trip.

Please give those of us on the sidelines drooling over your new bikes the 411.

I keep eying the new Rockets and starting to think about it way too much (ug-oh...). I'd really like to hear how you guys compare your previous Rocket to the new one- performance, handling, etc. Once out of warranty are they similar to work on, or do you need an electrical engineering degree?

I like to tour/camp and it doesn't look like the newer models (even the GT) will accommodate as much gear as the Roadster with standard saddlebags. I don't think that I've seen one heavily loaded down for a long trip.

I had a 14 Touring and loved it. Now I have a 2020 GT and there is nothing it does not do way better than the 15 with the exception of hauling luggage. But I bought the large Givi top box that has a huge amount of room in addition to being totally waterproof. Push the button and it pops off becoming a suitcase. The Triumph panniers while they look great are in my opinion practically worthless. They are teeny and not even close to waterproof. Triumph provided a waterproof bladder to go inside but that uses up even more of the tiny space available. The only work I have done myself on the bike is changing plugs and air filter but once you figure out how to get the tank off its not too bad. The power difference is amazing the new models will eat up the old ones even though by the numbers there shouldn’t be a huge difference. The weight they removed really shows up. Handling again is much improved, the new ones are much more flickable. I didn’t think I could like a scooter more than I did my 15 but the new one blows it away. With a bit over 33,000 miles I still get the stupid grin when I twist the throttle.

The new bikes are very nice but they went the opposite direction from touring with these bikes.

Back