'08 Touring Saddlebag Lids Will Not Open

You don't remove th he screw, just pull it up like in your photo than pry the entire retainer up. To reinstall make sure center pin up, install retainer pushing on wings, than when in push c ed enter screw in
I don't get it. No way does this plastic pin come out with the screw still in the pin without breaking something. What is the point of the screw expanding the pin to keep the pin in place? Sorry, obviously I am not the sharpest tool in the shed.

I don't get it. No way does this plastic pin come out with the screw still in the pin without breaking something. What is the point of the screw expanding the pin to keep the pin in place? Sorry, obviously I am not the sharpest tool in the shed.
They work like a toggle bolt. When the screw is out the legs will compress and fit in hole. When screw is in the expand like a tripod andhold

They work like a toggle bolt. When the screw is out the legs will compress and fit in hole. When screw is in the expand like a tripod andhold
Well, yes, exactly right but you can't get the screw out far enough to release the pin because the pin just spins around as you try to unscrew the screw.

I've seen a few where that's not a screw put is just a push pin. Try pulling it out as far as it goes than pull rest out. If that doesn't work buy new ones from an auto parts store to reassemble

I have ALWAYS had to push down hard on the bag lid to compress the gasket, then the latch button could be depressed.
I got mine working by squinting WD-40 in latch and worked it back and forth. Then some three in one oil and they work much better. Took about a half hour or so.

I thought I had replied with my fix long ago but apparently not. All was well way back then after dismantling everything in the bag lock mechanism and lubricating.

Back