'08 Touring Saddlebag Lids Will Not Open

RockOn

Turbocharged
Ride
2006 R3 Classic, 2008 R3T, 2009 Harley Ultra
WTF? Bike was delivered today in 100 degree heat 5 hours ago. Now dropped to 96, yeah! After wiping off 3 weeks and 2500 miles worth of shipping dust off the bike discovered saddlebag lids will not open. The lock buttons are very hard to press down. Not sure which way to turn locks. It does not matter which way locks are turned....lids will not open. I have applied pressure by pushing down on lids, by pulling up on lids and by pressing laterally against the side of the lids. I've done everything I can think of including silicone lubricant into the locks as well as around the circumference of the locks.

Hoping others have experienced this and know how to get them open......? :confused:

Thanks!

Strange... when using the ignition key do the locks turn easily? Do you have more than one key? It's possible they were re-keyed and are now locked.
-MIG

Strange... when using the ignition key do the locks turn easily? Do you have more than one key? It's possible they were re-keyed and are now locked.
-MIG
Only one key and it turns in the lock easily. I can't believe it is normally so hard to press the lock button down....very hard. Not having ever seen the lid locking mechanism I can only guess at what has happened. I hope the current high temp here is the problem.....maybe expanded the plastic enough to cause this problem. Hopefully in a few hours I can try again when the temps are down to high 80's at night. Thanks, Bud.

Only one key and it turns in the lock easily. I can't believe it is normally so hard to press the lock button down....very hard. Not having ever seen the lid locking mechanism I can only guess at what has happened. I hope the current high temp here is the problem.....maybe expanded the plastic enough to cause this problem. Hopefully in a few hours I can try again when the temps are down to high 80's at night. Thanks, Bud.
What doesn't compute is they are both that way... Good Luck and keep us posted!
-MIG

..maybe expanded the plastic enough to cause this problem.
That would be my guess, I have one that requires way more pressure than the other, I'm guessing too much pressure on the latch to release. But just a guess, good luck.

That would be my guess, I have one that requires way more pressure than the other, I'm guessing too much pressure on the latch to release. But just a guess, good luck.
I tried again when it was dark outside and temp dropped to about 90 degrees...both lids opened. So, will have to figure out how to adjust the mechanism to prevent this lockup which appears to be caused by high temps.

Problem I had on my first road trip is something fell into the slot that has the lock . It land right behind the pin so that ,yes the lock would turn but when pressing down on the button it was jammed . Ended up having to break the lock by giving it one hell of a yank. One lock broke . I now have only one lock otherwise it's alright . Going to be a winter project to fix the broken fixture where the lock latches. So all this to say that maybe something is blocking the latch from moving.

Problem I had on my first road trip is something fell into the slot that has the lock . It land right behind the pin so that ,yes the lock would turn but when pressing down on the button it was jammed . Ended up having to break the lock by giving it one hell of a yank. One lock broke . I now have only one lock otherwise it's alright . Going to be a winter project to fix the broken fixture where the lock latches. So all this to say that maybe something is blocking the latch from moving.
Could be. So far my brief look at the mechanism tells me it is far more complicated than the bag locks on my Harley. When the buttons are pressed down they are somehow pressing on gizmos that move two latches upward. On my lids the buttons are hard to press down, open or closed, and when pressed as far as I can the latches just move slightly. I hate to mess with it but I think I'll need to remove the plastic covers over the mechanisms to get a full picture of how it is supposed to work and maybe a little oil here and there and maybe a little filing and/or trimming of parts is in order. :unsure:

Glad you got it sorted out... or at least got them open. It does seem strange. I've never that problem be it searing heat in Death Valley or below freezing cold in Montana; but I do have a '14 so maybe it was sorted out by then.
-MIG

Back