Have you upgraded to a 625? I replaced the stock battery with a standard equivalent and it didn't fix my starting problem. Then I replaced again with a 625 and pretty much solved my problems. If a battery is hot, it is hot.... doesn't matter how it got charged. I wouldn't replace a charger because the battery didn't last long enough to start the motor. Pretty much has to be a capacity issue not a charging issue.

Ok, .......
The Jr works fine in the summer, but aint worth a **** in below freezing temps.
**** thing had to be jumped again!
I broke down and ordered the odyssey charger.
I can't imagine there is that much difference, but if it does what it says and makes it crank over like 50amps are put to the fire, then I'm convinced. It's the strangest thing, once it's run for 20 min, it cranks as fast as idle, but let it sit below freezing for a week on the Jr. and the **** thing cranks for 10 seconds and quits.
Just like a B.O.A.T.--- Break Out Another Thousand (in this case a hundred).
Cuts into my floor board budget, but it has to run 1st.
I'll just move the Jr. over to the generator and let it maintain a lead acid battery.
I hope it comes with some kind of plug like the Jr., that was handy.

It's my understanding that the Odyssey battery is not charged effectively with the Jr and that the Odyssey charger will make a major difference. I have one on order. Should arrive tomorrow in fact.

It's my understanding that the Odyssey battery is not charged effectively with the Jr and that the Odyssey charger will make a major difference. I have one on order. Should arrive tomorrow in fact.
Thats what I'm hoping, guess well know in a couple of weeks.
I've had the PC625 for a little over a year, the Jr just doesnt cut the mustard in the cold. Perhaps the matched charger will make the difference. When the battery is full, it works like a champ, but sitting with the Jr. in the cold ... its back to the stock performance problems.

Thats what I'm hoping, guess well know in a couple of weeks.
I've had the PC625 for a little over a year, the Jr just doesnt cut the mustard in the cold. Perhaps the matched charger will make the difference. When the battery is full, it works like a champ, but sitting with the Jr. in the cold ... its back to the stock performance problems.

Rode in today to work. 16 degrees F! Supposed to top out at 36 this afternoon though. I was a little apprehensive as my stock battery died two weeks ago (with my help leaving the heated seat on all day) and then the Odyssey 625 died over the week apparently it was never fully charged. My Battery Tender Jr. and Odyssey Charger should both arrive today but I don't have either yet. I'm running the stock battery today and put the Odyssey in the trunk just in case I need it and it revived itself from Sunday. I'm hoping the balmy 35 this afternoon will make it Ok to start after sitting out all day. :confused:

It's my understanding that the Odyssey battery is not charged effectively with the Jr and that the Odyssey charger will make a major difference.

Sounds like that would make sense.

I've been thinking about hauling the stock battery in my saddle bag with it wired in parallel!?! Why not!?!

Last edited:
If you have the room .... why not.
You might think about putting a quick connector inline so you can pop it in and out.
Be careful about the lead acid battery overflow tube, you wouldn't want to have it eat a hole in the bottom of your bags, or disolve something important at the bottom of it.;)

We had single digit temps at night, mid 20's in the day (up to 37 today).
I let the Rocket sit 4 days without starting, fired right up when I got home from work yesterday.
Still too much snow and slop on the roads to ride.
I got my Odyssey charger yesterday. I'll hook the pigtail up this weekend.

With a proper charge, this battery goes the distance.
The Battery Tender didn't give it the juice it needed, but apparently the jump from the car battery did.
This post has it right.

We had single digit temps at night, mid 20's in the day (up to 37 today).
I let the Rocket sit 4 days without starting, fired right up when I got home from work yesterday.
Still too much snow and slop on the roads to ride.
I got my Odyssey charger yesterday. I'll hook the pigtail up this weekend.

With a proper charge, this battery goes the distance.
The Battery Tender didn't give it the juice it needed, but apparently the jump from the car battery did.
This post has it right.
Did the new charger come with a pig tail plug that hooks to the battery and hangs out the side of the bike so you can plug/unplug the chargerlike the Jr.?

HellFire
Exactly, the same plug as battery tender. No fuse with it though. Not sure what they call this connection, SAE(?)
Also a pigtail with clamps.

The book says to use only with Odyssey batteries, sounds like one of those disclaimers by the law & liability department.

Last edited:
Back