rocket31998

Supercharged
How many people out there ride through the winter? I'm in South Central PA and we get reasonably mild winters with periodic snow and ice that usually melts within a couple of days. I have heard some from this area say that they won't ride at all after the roads are treated and put it away until Spring. I, on the other hand, ride whenever and whereever possible once the roads thaw. I figure that a good rain or two make it ok again on the roads. Any opinions regarding the potential danger of corrosion or worse due to chemicals on the roads. I've riden the last two (three now) winters in a row with no evident negative effects, but I'm still pretty new to all this, so any comments would be appreciated! :)

I'm in north central Oklahoma and like you ride pretty much year round as long as the weather is above 50 or so. There has been times over the last couple of winters that you could find a 48 to 50 degree day during the winter and thats all it takes for me to want to jump on the scoot and put 60 or 70 miles under my belt during the warmest part of the day. So to answer your question, Hell yes , we ride most any time we can.

Big T

We would if we could. Ice flow out on East-West road in front of the house that doesn't get much sun is our limiting factor. 'Have threatened to trailer them down to the local paved parking lot a few times. Rides are limited as I dropped the '82 CBC 900 on a shaded corner a few years back - no injury - just don't want to scrape up (or lift) the 800+ lb bike. Limited ride would be nice - flat with no real twisties.

Last ride this year was day after T-Giving. 50 and up for us as well - though can start at 40 if I know it will warm up!

Ride All Winter in Tennessee

How many people out there ride through the winter? I'm in South Central PA and we get reasonably mild winters with periodic snow and ice that usually melts within a couple of days. I have heard some from this area say that they won't ride at all after the roads are treated and put it away until Spring. I, on the other hand, ride whenever and whereever possible once the roads thaw. I figure that a good rain or two make it ok again on the roads. Any opinions regarding the potential danger of corrosion or worse due to chemicals on the roads. I've riden the last two (three now) winters in a row with no evident negative effects, but I'm still pretty new to all this, so any comments would be appreciated! :)

I'll ride all winter but I usually won't go out if the temp is much below 36 deg F. Dressing with multiple layers is the way to stay warm, though I haven't tried heated garments.good socks, good gloves with liners, and good boots help, too.

The problem I have is getting into hills where the sun doesn't hit the road directly so one can encounter wet or icy patches without warning.

I do not attempt touring in the bitter cold because of unpredictable weather - I'll take on the rain but sleet, snow, and freezing rain is NOT an option for me.

One must also consider altitude changes ... it can be 5-10 degrees colder in the mountains. Even relatively minor elevation rise can dramatically affect temperatures.

ride year round also got to work this morning had ice on the front of my gloves and bottom part of chaps

I rode mine to Baxters a couple of weeks ago. When I started it was 28 degrees, darn cold but dry. I just got the bike tho so it was fun. Since then we have gotten a bunch of snow and expecting more this week. I wish I could ride all year but I'm gonna have to settle for looking at it in my garage and reading about you southern boys puttin on some miles.

I rode mine to Baxters a couple of weeks ago. When I started it was 28 degrees, darn cold but dry. I just got the bike tho so it was fun. Since then we have gotten a bunch of snow and expecting more this week. I wish I could ride all year but I'm gonna have to settle for looking at it in my garage and reading about you southern boys puttin on some miles.

I don't worry about the cold anymore with the gerbings. I am a bit worried about the snow melting during the day and freezing at night on the way home from work. I'll give it a couple more days and see what happens.

All Season Biker

I'm from SE Mass, ride throughout the year with my club brothers that do. As long as the road aren't too trashed from the snow treatments that is. No desire to sand blast my ride. Usually limit the low end temp at about 15 - 20 degrees, add the 70 - 80 mph wind on the highway,,,,, it gets %*^#~* cold!!! Won't be for a while though after last weekends 20" snow dump,,,,, Bummer. Comon SPRING!!

I'm from SE Mass, ride throughout the year with my club brothers that do. As long as the road aren't too trashed from the snow treatments that is. No desire to sand blast my ride. Usually limit the low end temp at about 15 - 20 degrees, add the 70 - 80 mph wind on the highway,,,,, it gets %*^#~* cold!!! Won't be for a while though after last weekends 20" snow dump,,,,, Bummer. Comon SPRING!!

Grew up in Albany NY and spent a lot of time in Maine with relatives. Then spent four years in college in Oswego NY right on Lake Ontario North of Syracuse. I don't miss those winters at all! ;)

I ride year round, and yes it does get cold here (albeit not as often). I left the house to do the Toys for Tots run a couple of weeks ago and it was 34 when I pulled out of the garage. Me and buddy rode down to the Ocala area a couple of years ago and it was 27 when I left the house. Brrrrrr!

Back