Where does this wire go??

wideneck

Standard Bore
Hi,
First post. 2006 Rocket III. I took the starter off, and when all that oil hit my hands, I dropped it. No biggie, except that the small black solenoid (?) wire came unplugged from the bike (not the starter). It is a flat male spade connector, and I cannot for the life of me see where it plugs in. The manual shows it connecting to the starter relay, but those wires go up under the gas tank, and the wire isn't long enough to reach.It is about a foot long. I have looked and looked, and I do not see anywhere to plug it in and am asking for any help anyone can give. The bike is down until I can find this, and it is 80 degrees and sunny!
Thanks,
Steve

I should add that this wire should clearly connect to the starter relay somehow.If you put 12v to it it cranks the starter as you would think it should. The starter relay wires all go up under the tank. All 5 wires are connected to the relay. I dunno.

Have a look under right hand side cover that is where the starter relay is and I believe will also find the the plug in question

Thanks, but no. There is no plug on the relay. As I said, all of the wires shown in the schematic are already connected to the relay. There is a plug somewhere in the harness for the relay.
I think it is behind the engine.

mystery wire

there is a plug on the loom leading to the relay, if you take the small cover off on the left hand side ( just in front of the main side panel, by the frame ) you will see the plug in question on the loom with a very short wire to the loom, very awkward to reach and see but it is there.

there is a plug on the loom leading to the relay, if you take the small cover off on the left hand side ( just in front of the main side panel, by the frame ) you will see the plug in question on the loom with a very short wire to the loom, very awkward to reach and see but it is there.
That is the one I am talking about :)

Yes, that is where it is. Thanks. I found it shortly after my last post, and have been riding since. It is behind the small cover held with Torx screws, not behind the side cover with the relay. It is about mid way between the sides of the bike, and as pointed out, very awkward to access.I used 2 pair of long needle nose pliers and got it that way. Very short lead out from the harness, and in my case, hidden by a breather hose. What I did was pull the male spade right out of the plug. Its back together, but I still have the same issue of not starting. Click, click,click, click, start. Or not.
The starter also sounds like it is laboring more than it should. Brand new Odyssey battery. So, I guess it will have to come off again.

..wideneck..do the eastern beaver mod along with the starter motor mod..if ya can't find the links on here bout 'em, we'll post 'em up for ya..shoulod fix your non starting problem..these bikes are notorious for the bad ignition switch non starting issue..needs a headlight relay to keep the wires on the ign switch from burning up..

Howdy,
I did the Eastern Beaver mod, love the brighter headlights too.
I don't know what the starter mod is, but I will certainly do that as well, once I know what it is. I do remember reading something about the contacts in the solenoid.

Back