What's your reccomended eyewear?

I swear by those pin lock inserts, and still, I'm talking specifically about just 35°F to around 50°F in pouring *rain* . . .

The moisture beads on the inside of the shield and in time is a severe impairment to vision, especially since winter is when I'm riding in dark at both ends of the work day and on-coming headlights block out everything in those conditions.

I reported here about two years ago I rode a bike in on a February morning, and a front moved in with rain, and going home that evening 38°F and rain, I misjudged cars stopping in front of me and grabbed a handful of front brake, locked up, and went down.

I've been on the roads you ride on and you have balls the size used for bowling just to ride on a clear day, nevermind inclement weather with a little darkness thrown in!
:eek:;):)

The moisture beads on the inside of the shield and in time is a severe impairment to vision, especially since winter is when I'm riding in dark at both ends of the work day and on-coming headlights block out everything in those conditions.
OK - There can an issue with PINLOCKS - - IF - and it is a really important IF - you do not get a perfect seal.

Cheaper (and older) lids come with a very simple pin that is a PITA to adjust so that the inner visor is pushed firmly against the outer - this leads to a poor seal - This can lead to fogging forming between the two layers. This in turn chills the inner and so water vapour will collect beyond the materials ability to absorb.

I started to see this occasionally UNTIL I upgraded to the Pinlock 3-part-pin. Most mid-high end lids now come with these as standard rather than the plastic poppet.These are much easier to fine adjust - perfect seal means proper double glazing. Pinlock Three component pins | Pinlock

The seal is not the issue -- it's Mother Nature and physics.

My warm breath inside the helmet must contact the cold face plate. With the anti-fog insert, there is no fine fog, however, with continued breathing, moisture is constantly added to the inside of the face plate. As I stated, when it is raining, the inside does not clear, and creates the unsafe conditions.

As I stated, when it is raining, the inside does not clear, and creates the unsafe conditions.
Maybe Spanish and English rain is different. Coz here I get no build up at all. And Holland (where Pinlocks come from) is , shall we say, often damp. I had exactly what you explain before changing the pins.

I pay tooooo much, but am happy with the Oakley's. Whatever you use, make sure they have a solid bridge. Stops eyes from watering

BUT - believe me they DO NOT work well "open face" . They seem to generate a lot of eddies - drying eyes really fast. And let's be honest here - they are generally quite the antithesis of Stylish.

Somewhere I have 3 pairs of wrap around glasses/goggles with foam face seals and the arm or strap option. Came from LIDL (Europeans know LIDL). Came with 3 sets lenses too. iirc 5 Euros a pair. May have to dig them out - I am thinking hard about getting something "off-road-ish" for summer

I've been totally happy with my Schuberth M1!
i do also have a Snell full face for whenever . . .
No se burlan de mi casco!

I've been totally happy with my Schuberth M1!
i do also have a Snell full face for whenever . . .
No se burlan de mi casco!
For autumn/winter/spring - honestly my Caberg Duke is close to perfect. Gets 5stars at SHARP, internal sun visor, Flip front and Pinlock (which I upgraded to a photochromatic pinlock and put the 3partPins in). BUT in summer here it is like wearing ones own personal tiny head-sauna.

My previous lid was made by Givi and was a joy in summer as it had a skeketal face guard which let loads of air through whilst protecting the chin. But no longer made. It was also a wee bit chilly in winter.

Off road or "Dual Road" lids catch my eye as they have more chin clearance and generally (it seems) better venting. I am currently fighting to find a stockist of this Helmets - NEXX Helmets - It's predecessor blew everything else away - Arai, Shoei, you name it. I also want to try on a Nolan N44 for similar face clearance, again finding a stockist (with real stock) is proving an issue.

I have had a Schuberth. It was not the lid for me. Technology has no doubt advanced - but it was enough to put me off them for ever. IMO wildly overpriced for what they are.

I think if I were going to buy an "open" lid it would be the Caberg Ghost. GHOST

Back