Whats in your Rain Ride??

Freightbusters

Supercharged
Just thought a lot of you might have some good thoughts about a rain ride........stopping...skidding....turning...riding two up in the rain vs one up........middle of the lane vs in the wheel tracks ..any help ............:roll:as we have alot of rain and some of my thoughts are ok as some are just plain keep me on edge.......so let it hang.....what say ya???

Ride safe, Have fun, and with respect. yes respect is back!!!

The Rocket is very stable in the rain. I just ride pretty much normally and try to avoid panic stops or sudden turns, in other words, a little common sense. I've ridden in downpours with the Rocket on the interstate in traffic and it never slipped or slid at all.

It does create quite a mess, I don't think the bike could get any dirtier than that. I have a Corbin seat and while its waterproof it collects water and its not long before you are sitting in a puddle. The aerodynamics of the bike are such that the rain whips around your windshield and hits you in the back. My back was soaked and my front was almost dry, and this was with a Flyscreen. I stopped and removed my sheepskin and threw that in the bags but it was still wet. I hung it up and let it dry and hit it with a little compressed air to blow the road dirt and sand out of it.... it looked just like new when I was done with it.

Don't follow cattle trucks, that brown water is exactly what you think it is...:eek:

What both Flip and Tom said. I recently rode up to Shreveport, LA and a good few hours of that trip it was pouring down. In Shreveport, it was raining over 1" an hour. I was riding with my fly screen, with a full face helmet and I had my rain suit and enough sense to put it on and I cruised along at normal speed limit speeds with no problems. Just watching very close so I wouldn't need to make a sudden stop and not cutting curves as sharp, etc. The only STUPID thing I did was forget my waterproof Triumph riding boots at home. The boots I were wearing are water proof, but only ankle high... and they hold water very well... so my feet and socks got wet... but the rest was just fine...

The only STUPID thing I did was forget my waterproof Triumph riding boots at home. The boots I were wearing are water proof, but only ankle high... and they hold water very well... so my feet and socks got wet... but the rest was just fine...

Ah yes, I'm quite familiar with the old boots full of water syndrome. You stop for say gas and when you walk in to pay the clerk everyone in the store looks around because you are making funny noises.....

Then there is the taking off of the boots and if you wore dark socks your feet are the color of your socks......

I know those scenario's well:D:D

Rain ridin

I:roll: can remember pushing the ride in the rain with the 21 in wheel on my soft tail, somewhat larger fat boy and 21 in wheel soft springer:(......was a white knuckled ride....have not pushed the rocket yet in the rain but as I see here there is more wiggle room in the rain with the R3.....

Ride safe, have fun and with respect!

bustin freight!

Contact patch

The contact patch on both the front and back Metzlers are a bit worrisome at interstate speeds in the rain, specifically during downpours and ponding of water on any roadway. Were the rain groves to cut fully across the contact patch I'd feel significanly more confident. The dark side is growing nearer to me:eek:

At the same time, normally during these conditions, everyone is slowing down as a result of reduced visibilities. But, there's always the punks in their drifters, with not enough sense to pound sand in a rat hole, or soccer mom on 'er cell phone who can't see past the end of their powdered noses.

I support SEVERE, extreme even, penalties and repercussions (prison, electrocusion, dismemberment with dull chain saw), for collision with motorcyclists.

Shoe polish lessens soaked boots. Try some Flipper:D But no mink oil.;)

Last edited:
Flip, I imagine some of your bar-b-q'd steaks are on par with boot leather:D
No, you don't want to put fat back into leather for which the tanning process was accomplished for the purpose of removing such deteriorating (rot) factor.

I don't want to be a nit picker, but exactly how does bacon fat differ from "good ole lard".

Last edited:
Back