Sidecar Flip

Living Legend
20150 Mc Carty Rd. Deerfield, Michigan 49238
After Jack's comments about 'filth' on my bike(s). Yesterday I spent 4 hours washing and carefully cleaning the sidecar outfit. The Rocket will have to wait until this week as I ran out of daylight and besides, it got cold....

First I soaked her down with Simple Green and hosed her off. Then I used a sponge to was all the body parts and a tooth brush to clean all the little places that collect 'filth' that I normally don't see but the camera (and Jack) does. The I rolled the outfit in the shop and cleaned all 3 wheels with a clean towel and plenty of Honda Pro Polish, even getting the spokes and the inner hubs. I Armorall'd the tires then carefully Pro-Polished all the bodywork on the hack and the bike, removing all the removable sheet metal and cleaning and waxing each part. I got on the creeper and cleaned under the engine and frame areas and waxed the frame tubes and lugs. After that, I removed the seat and carefully cleaned it as well as the area covered by the seat paying close attention to the rear fender and all the harness's under there. The gas tank got a coat of Pro Polish and the engine and was wiped down. Finally I took some GE High Pressure Silicone, a paintbrush and a shop towel and went over the cooling fins on the motor removing water spots as well as the entire frame, swing arm and chainguard. After I finished, I covered the outfit with a blanket(s) and put on the respective covers. All is well. Now, on the R3.

Busa will be so very proud of you! I'll bet there is no shortage of nook's and craney's (what ever those are) on a bike with a side car.

Nookie and Carnnie..........

Busa will be so very proud of you! I'll bet there is no shortage of nook's and craney's (what ever those are) on a bike with a side car.

Those are the spots you enjoyed when you were younger (on your girlfriend or your wife before you got married) that you tend to overlook now for one reason or another.........:eek:

Least with a sidecar outfit you don't ever have to prop the bike up and worry about it falling over to clean it underneath because it's always upright. Not quite vertical, but almost (that's called 'leanout').

Flip,

I see sidecar rigs are getting more popular these days

Checkout Arlen Ness' latest offering at the 07 SEMA show (see attachment)

Attachments

• arlen ness hack at SEMA 2007.jpg
    arlen ness hack at SEMA 2007.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 71
Tony:

Next time we go out, I'll take the outfit instead of the Rocket.

I'd like to see what the tub looks like.......

I washed the Rocket last night utilizing the toothbrush method and cleaning all the 'filth' from the bottom side. I discovered a big chunk of cow **** had lodged itself between the oil filter and the recess in the casting next to the inspection cover. I'm gonna have to get a mudflap on the front fender for sure. I took the manifold covers off and did a Busa Jack thing on the outlet stubs with the trusty old Rustoleum High heat paint and a small paintbrush as well as the outer shields. Looks just like my hero Jack's bike exhaust now. I have about 10 cans of that stuff on the shelf.:)

Last edited:
Confused??

COW **** ON YOUR BIKE:confused: Flip, where are you riding that thing. Don't you have a license to leave the farm? Are you using your rocket to herd the cattle in the pasture? You don't have appropriately paved roads by your farm somewhere? Ya know...getting the ol R3 outa first gear is lots of fun....U should try it sometime....SB.:D

COW **** ON YOUR BIKE:confused: Flip, where are you riding that thing. Don't you have a license to leave the farm? Are you using your rocket to herd the cattle in the pasture? You don't have appropriately paved roads by your farm somewhere? Ya know...getting the ol R3 outa first gear is lots of fun....U should try it sometime....SB.:D

I keep eyeballing the bike and trying to figure out how to put a Cat II three point hitch on it. She's got the torque to pull a couple of 14's anyway. I probably stuffed the turd in there swinging around in front of the barn to use the other drive. Things do fall out of the spreaders once in a while..... A front mudflap (turdflap) will eliminate that problem. A chin spoiler would be even better (working on that)

I am so proud of you' now you can take it In the house for the winter...BJC

Amy is not very congenial toward that thought. Besides, the shop is heated and the Rock can keep the T100 company while they both listen to the radio. I'll take a couple of pictures of the handiwork tonight. You'll notice the lack of 'filth' too.

Tony:

Next time we go out, I'll take the outfit instead of the Rocket.

I'd like to see what the tub looks like.......

I washed the Rocket last night utilizing the toothbrush method and cleaning all the 'filth' from the bottom side. I discovered a big chunk of cow **** had lodged itself between the oil filter and the recess in the casting next to the inspection cover. I'm gonna have to get a mudflap on the front fender for sure. I took the manifold covers off and did a Busa Jack thing on the outlet stubs with the trusty old Rustoleum High heat paint and a small paintbrush as well as the outer shields. Looks just like my hero Jack's bike exhaust now. I have about 10 cans of that stuff on the shelf.:)

I'm assuming you are planning on making rather than buying a turd/mud flap? If can't find any suitable material to use just holler and I'll bring home some 1/8" thick rubber sheeting (that we use to make gaskets for tank entry manhole doors)
that will work just fine. Sturdy enough not to flex too much and light enough so you can stick it on rather than drill your fender like Jack did on Spike.

Tony:

Bring a chunk home. I'll hot knife a couple and we'll glue 'em on with some Gorilla Snot. Jack glued his on too, I think anyway. Jack is allergic to drilling holes.

You know that almost sounds like an advertisement for Ponderosa Steakhouse.........:D

The Triumph logo bolts look real nice....on the sidecar.:)

Back