For Sale wants to sell '05 R3

Hey Doc, are the pipes on it louder than the Jardines you gave me years ago? If they're not louder I'd be interested in them for my 2014 Rocket Roadster (sold the 2005 Rocket after 65,000 miles to get the Roadster with anti-lock brakes for when an old lady turns in front of me). Sorry to hear you're retiring from riding :-( but I too have noticed that it does get harder and harder to muscle the beast around.
They are Sams pipes. Remove the plug, set off car alarms from 100 yards out. Close it down to a whisper or take one too many spacers out and it will only run at idle. COMPLETELY adjustable. Which is why I always kept it wide open and now am partially deaf! Lol.

Wow I remember this bike, who ever painted this bike did a great job.
It seams you keep nice care of it what can be wrong it's not like you seazed the engine?.
I would get it started so if it cost you $500 or $800 or less your get more money for the bike . Doesn't start your going to get low balled.

I would seriously question whether someone who took 3 hours to move a photo from his iPhone to a post on R3 owners.net should be allowed to handle sharp objects. Tribal this is a shot of the Odometer. 38,061 miles. Its the real mileage. Even the times I ran it at El Mirage I left the Speedo and Tach in place. HOWEVER this bike, while it will run good, (if I can start it,) it has been handed some tough jobs in the last 15 years. I have always felt I was trusting my life to the machine and the people who worked on it. Accordingly I don't believe I have ever done anything mickey mouse. That being said, if I were looking at my bike through someone else's eyes, there are a lot of flaws. Anyone serious to buy I will go over every scratch, but it still sells as is where is. The history might put some people off, but the bike has never caused me any regrets.
History:
Arrived at SoCalTriumph in '05 with the first deliveries of the Rocket 3. The Factory demo bike was at the shop for it's two week visit at the same time. (When the R3 first came out Triumph of America made one bike available and sent it around from one dealer to another for 2 weeks loans. People signed up in advance to demo the bike during the two weeks) I wanted to ride the demo to see what all the fuss was about. I really believed the bike was the ugliest thing I had ever seen, but it has since grown on me. I did the demo ride and was astounded at the torque and low speed ease which you all know about. I thought this might be the bike for my wife and I. She had been a good sport on my 1970 T120, but it doesn't really have any comfort nor does it have adequate braking power for frequent rides. She also rode the '01 Speed Triple, but not comfortably. So I thought maybe the Rocket....
I spoke to the store owner who I have become friends with, and asked if I might take the demo for a full hour one time during the two weeks, so that I could bring it to the house, surprise my wife and take her around the block for a little sales pitch on the smooth ride, and comfy seat. Tom said, "I can do better than that, I have the press bike". At that time his shop provided maintenance to the press fleet for the Triumph bikes that are loaned to the journalists. Those bikes need a quick 500 miles, oil change and cable adjustment before they go to the magazines and I was a sometimes go-fer who put on some miles on some bikes. I said, "Great when will it be here?" He said, "It's here now". I said "when will it be out of the crate?" He said, "It's out now!" I said "When can I ride it?" He said. "here are the keys." I left the shop that morning and hurried home to take my wife for a ride. Then I left home to go get lunch at a local restaurant called Neptunes Net. I went the long Way. I got back to the shop at closing, with 200 miles on the brand new bike.
The following Monday Tom found out two interesting facts. The press bike had already gone directly from Triumph America to a Magazine, and Tom now had a brand new/used R3 at his store. He made the best of it by providing the bike to Jardine, for them to make up the headers that they later put on sale, and after that the bike was sent to Las Vegas where Power Commander fitted a magic box and tune to make the bike run right with the Jardines. The bike then spent the next two years at SoCal Triumph as a Demo. I rode it almost every week. During those two years I believe the bike was dropped by customers twice. The bike had so many Dyno pulls on it that the front brake lines were blistered from the heat. I bought it as a used bike in, I think, '07. I believe it had about 6,000 miles on it. They put new brake lines on it for me. It had the crash bars, fog lights, rear package shelf and rear Gel seat and Jardine headers at that time.
There is a lot more history to tell, but I should probably make a different thread on some other forum and just refer to it? That way real shoppers won't have to waste time looking at a long story. I don't know the etiquette here so someone will have to direct me to the best way to tell the history of this bike.
As for the price, I would like what someone is willing to pay, but I don't think it is going to bring much, which is why I am reluctant to spend time and money chasing a broken wire and agreeing to ship the bike all over the place. I expect it will go cheap enough that someone could afford to bring a trailer and come and get it. I will wait and see if anyone is interested enough to make an offer, if not I will hang a number and see what I can do.

Attachments

• IMG_9628[2953].jpg
    IMG_9628[2953].jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 9
I would seriously question whether someone who took 3 hours to move a photo from his iPhone to a post on R3 owners.net should be allowed to handle sharp objects. Tribal this is a shot of the Odometer. 38,061 miles. Its the real mileage. Even the times I ran it at El Mirage I left the Speedo and Tach in place. HOWEVER this bike, while it will run good, (if I can start it,) it has been handed some tough jobs in the last 15 years. I have always felt I was trusting my life to the machine and the people who worked on it. Accordingly I don't believe I have ever done anything mickey mouse. That being said, if I were looking at my bike through someone else's eyes, there are a lot of flaws. Anyone serious to buy I will go over every scratch, but it still sells as is where is. The history might put some people off, but the bike has never caused me any regrets.
History:
Arrived at SoCalTriumph in '05 with the first deliveries of the Rocket 3. The Factory demo bike was at the shop for it's two week visit at the same time. (When the R3 first came out Triumph of America made one bike available and sent it around from one dealer to another for 2 weeks loans. People signed up in advance to demo the bike during the two weeks) I wanted to ride the demo to see what all the fuss was about. I really believed the bike was the ugliest thing I had ever seen, but it has since grown on me. I did the demo ride and was astounded at the torque and low speed ease which you all know about. I thought this might be the bike for my wife and I. She had been a good sport on my 1970 T120, but it doesn't really have any comfort nor does it have adequate braking power for frequent rides. She also rode the '01 Speed Triple, but not comfortably. So I thought maybe the Rocket....
I spoke to the store owner who I have become friends with, and asked if I might take the demo for a full hour one time during the two weeks, so that I could bring it to the house, surprise my wife and take her around the block for a little sales pitch on the smooth ride, and comfy seat. Tom said, "I can do better than that, I have the press bike". At that time his shop provided maintenance to the press fleet for the Triumph bikes that are loaned to the journalists. Those bikes need a quick 500 miles, oil change and cable adjustment before they go to the magazines and I was a sometimes go-fer who put on some miles on some bikes. I said, "Great when will it be here?" He said, "It's here now". I said "when will it be out of the crate?" He said, "It's out now!" I said "When can I ride it?" He said. "here are the keys." I left the shop that morning and hurried home to take my wife for a ride. Then I left home to go get lunch at a local restaurant called Neptunes Net. I went the long Way. I got back to the shop at closing, with 200 miles on the brand new bike.
The following Monday Tom found out two interesting facts. The press bike had already gone directly from Triumph America to a Magazine, and Tom now had a brand new/used R3 at his store. He made the best of it by providing the bike to Jardine, for them to make up the headers that they later put on sale, and after that the bike was sent to Las Vegas where Power Commander fitted a magic box and tune to make the bike run right with the Jardines. The bike then spent the next two years at SoCal Triumph as a Demo. I rode it almost every week. During those two years I believe the bike was dropped by customers twice. The bike had so many Dyno pulls on it that the front brake lines were blistered from the heat. I bought it as a used bike in, I think, '07. I believe it had about 6,000 miles on it. They put new brake lines on it for me. It had the crash bars, fog lights, rear package shelf and rear Gel seat and Jardine headers at that time.
There is a lot more history to tell, but I should probably make a different thread on some other forum and just refer to it? That way real shoppers won't have to waste time looking at a long story. I don't know the etiquette here so someone will have to direct me to the best way to tell the history of this bike.
As for the price, I would like what someone is willing to pay, but I don't think it is going to bring much, which is why I am reluctant to spend time and money chasing a broken wire and agreeing to ship the bike all over the place. I expect it will go cheap enough that someone could afford to bring a trailer and come and get it. I will wait and see if anyone is interested enough to make an offer, if not I will hang a number and see what I can do.
I'm very late to the party and have not read every word but a few words about ignition switch problems caught my attention. I've experienced, as many other Rocket owners have, this common problem. I recently sent my switch with it's harness to De'cosse for repair and now it functions like new. Sometimes it is a bad connector, sometimes it is bad solder joints inside the switch. I had exactly the same symptoms, turn the bars one way, ignition works, turn the other way , no fire, no Bueno. Message Decosse and he might be your salvation.

You all have valid thoughts on the likely cause. I have chased this with the bike since the bike was new. The initial problems with so intermittent that I couldn't track it down. First time it happened I had a few friends give me a push in the parking lot of a local burger stop, (Tom's Farm off the 15). The parking lot had a good downhill and I had several friends pushing and we got it started. Then it didn't act up again for a very long time. So many possibilities, kick stand, clutch, neutral switch? The next time it happened I didn't have the horse power to push with, and with a feeble push I hit the starter at the same time. It started. When I went to Americade in '07 or '08 I took a new switch with me for an emergency. Never needed it. And so on. During fork seal replacement I put the switch in, and sawed the old switch open. It had a fair amount of corrosion that might have been from water getting in. I thought I was done. One time while the bike was at the dealer they couldn't start it, so I told them to replace the starter, (I was confidant, but wrong). On me, not them, I didn't ask them to diagnose it, I just ordered up a new starter. I kept the old one and got it on the bench and it looked really good. I made a light pass over the armature on the lathe, and cleaned and greased the bearings and put it in a bag for later. But the problem continued. Until a friend pointed out the likelihood of a broken wire. Then I found I could start it every time, by holding the starter button in and turning the bars back and forth. Except now that has stopped working but I am confident, (again) that I know what is wrong, lol. It has to be a broken wire..... (or a bad relay...)

This is how it sits right now. I last ran the mile at El Mirage in November 2017, had a disappointing run, brought it home and parked it. Got very busy at work, and didn't start to service everything until Sept 2018. I pulled all the race parts off, (except the dead man switch) and put new fork seals in and a replaced the ignition switch. Put new tires on (race tires for the R3 are shaved Metzler Marathons, yikes). Replaced the rear wheel bearings and the spacer that had failed. Replaced all the little bits, the plastic covers over the frame front, the broken pieces of the radiator shroud that had cracked, the little heat shield for the rear master cylinder, and cleaned and polished all the bits and pieces that I had to put back on. Fancied one more medium long trip, so I put the fog lights on, the Garman GPS, etc. Then the starting problem became more than an occasional annoyance.

Attachments

• IMG_9629.jpg
    IMG_9629.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9636.jpg
    IMG_9636.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 19
The paint on the gas tank had to be repainted because we spilled some brake fluid on the tank at El Mirage. I tried to tone down the yellow a little (too much on the front fender) but I lost my way and I don't think the tank matches the rest of the paint very well at all. Canecorso you are kind to say it is a great paint job. It is a good amateur job, but not even close to many that I have seen on this forum. The only good thing for me is that I painted it myself, and my friends won't say anything bad about in front of me! lol. I painted it three times the first go around, and this was the best I could get. (first paint job looked like melted cheese on spaghetti). I spent much more on paint than I would have, if I had hired a real painter to do it the first time. But then I wouldn't have been brave enough to paint numbers on the tank, or calm enough to wipe brake fluid off the tank and tell my crew, "don't worry about it".
The four pictures to the right are with the numbers, rear set pegs, low bars, no lights and the original color on the tank, plus numbers and class, and then me, "tucked in" with my chin on the tank, ... well actually with my stomach on the tank, that is as low as I could get, and still tilt my head high enough to see. Too much arthritis in my neck and lasagna at my waist to be a real land speed racer.

Attachments

• IMG_9617.jpg
    IMG_9617.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9618.jpg
    IMG_9618.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9640.jpg
    IMG_9640.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0062.JPG
    IMG_0062.JPG