Vehicle speed sensor intermittent

triroketman

Supercharged
My speedo has been dropping out so I attached the Tuneboy to the bike and it told me that I had code P1500 vehicle speed sensor fault. I checked the sensor and all seemed ok. I was wondering if anyone has had to replace the sensor and if I am heading in the right direction with this. bikebandit has the sensor for $164.
Thanks, Dave.

From memory the sensor is under the left side of engine and works off a magnet in the output shaft. Maybe it needs cleaning, there could be some metal shavings stuck to it. Be careful some oil may come out.

You are correct. I pulled it out and cleaned it plus the contacts at the connector.
The Tuneboy still says "P1500 Vehicle Speed Sensor Intermittant. I guess I will have to order a new sensor. The strange thing is that the service manual says that P1500 is a Vehicle Speed Circuit Fault. But the Tuneboy says it is Intermittant. This leads me to believe that the sensor has failed.

The latest on board diagnostic system OBDII has a number of advantages over the previous system, one of them is the ability to warn of an impending failure. If a sensor, relay, or valve etc. that is monitored by the ECM begins to occasionally malfunction but is still working the majority of the time, the computer will log a diagnostic code. A good way to deal with that kind of fault code is to clear it from the ECM and see if it reoccurs. If it logs the same "intermittent" or "impending failure" code, there is most likely a real problem with the part an it should be replaced before it totally fails.

A lot of folks don't like the system, but personally I love it. OBDII makes diagnosing problems much easier than the old days of each manufacturer having their own unique system. That's why every car and bike have the same plug-in now.

Back