UP DATE ON THE R3 TOURING TRIKE

Micksan

Supercharged
Ride
2023 Triumph R3 GT, 2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT,
This past weekend we headed to a BMW rally just west of KC Kansas. Cathy rode the Indian w/ sidecar . I decided it was time to take the trike out for its maiden run. I had been giving it a shake down for a few hundred miles . It got a good test on this run. On the way out we ran into a really heavy storm . Water comming down by the buckets, could not see 30 feet. No place to hide , nor were there any bridges or exits. If we were on two wheels I am sure wewould have been blown over. After about 3 or 44 miles we came on a service area. Made it up there and went in dripping like a couple drowned rats. Stayed there for about an hour when it let up quite a bit. Then we had to back track to find the exit we missed, and finished the last 60 miles. It did get rid of the stuck on bugs.
That evening with dry clothes on we went out to the rally grounds. Got to see a lot of old friends that we were worried about, due to the Covid. Sunday morning we left the hotel just before 7am. The weather said it would be hot . For once they did not lie. I had Cathy out front so we would make better time. She was doing 75 to85 all the way home (350 miles). Got some strange looks when we stopped and poured water on our heads and shirts in 90+ deg s. Cathy (74 yrs old) , assured them it was not a wet T-shirt contest.
The bike did great. removing the windshield lowers solved the hot leg problems. Gas MPG worked out to 33-34 . not bad considering it was mostly Ethanol 10%. Now if I could just replace the clutch & brake levers.
BTW does anyone know if the roadster clutch and brake holders will work on out touring model.

This past weekend we headed to a BMW rally just west of KC Kansas. Cathy rode the Indian w/ sidecar . I decided it was time to take the trike out for its maiden run. I had been giving it a shake down for a few hundred miles . It got a good test on this run. On the way out we ran into a really heavy storm . Water comming down by the buckets, could not see 30 feet. No place to hide , nor were there any bridges or exits. If we were on two wheels I am sure wewould have been blown over. After about 3 or 44 miles we came on a service area. Made it up there and went in dripping like a couple drowned rats. Stayed there for about an hour when it let up quite a bit. Then we had to back track to find the exit we missed, and finished the last 60 miles. It did get rid of the stuck on bugs.
That evening with dry clothes on we went out to the rally grounds. Got to see a lot of old friends that we were worried about, due to the Covid. Sunday morning we left the hotel just before 7am. The weather said it would be hot . For once they did not lie. I had Cathy out front so we would make better time. She was doing 75 to85 all the way home (350 miles). Got some strange looks when we stopped and poured water on our heads and shirts in 90+ deg s. Cathy (74 yrs old) , assured them it was not a wet T-shirt contest.
The bike did great. removing the windshield lowers solved the hot leg problems. Gas MPG worked out to 33-34 . not bad considering it was mostly Ethanol 10%. Now if I could just replace the clutch & brake levers.
BTW does anyone know if the roadster clutch and brake holders will work on out touring model.
Thanks for the update. Just curious who did you get to do your trike conversion? As I get older the Rocket seems to get heavier to handle. I may look into the trike conversion.

Sounds like a great ride . You should put up some pics if your up to it .
To be honest we did not take any. Plus the most adventurous part ( Storm) was not really a good place to break out the camera. Our attention was to stay on the road.

Back