Trailered it Yet?

i don't guarantee that but worth a try
The wheel still turns, plus you have to get the lean figured in just right before tightening it that way because it ratchets over the whole bike as you tighten up. Not a good way at all for me.

After my test ride and the emptying of my wallet, the very next thing I did was to trailer my Rocket......like this....
Resize of IMG_20221210_151807.jpg
Resize of IMG_20221210_151816.jpg
Resize of IMG_20221210_151827a.jpg

It was a bit of a cobbled together affair but it sat there happy as Larry for the 150 mile trip home.
No damage thank goodness.
The trickiest part is driving the bike on and off the trailer.....best not to do it single handed just in case gravity takes over at any point.
Best to strap from the base of the handle bars as the primary fixing. Compress the front suspension pretty much fully while keeping the bike as vertical as possible. This means that at some point in that process, the side stand needs to be swung up out of the way, so ideally a two person job.
I didn't have a front wheel brace attached to my trailer, so I opted for strapping both sides of the front wheel so that it couldn't move in any direction.
All the other straps are pretty much secondary, as long as the handlebar straps are heavy duty tackle.
Belt and braces were the strips of wood chocking up the tyres......You can tell i'm not a pro, because once I start strapping down, I just keep on adding straps until I run out of them..:thumbsup: .......oh, and use a piece of soft cloth between the strap and the paintwork for added protection from scuffs.
Getting the bike off the trailer at home was the scariest part....the driveway was iced over...:eek:. Boy was I relieved when I got the beast into the garage without any mishaps!

@stingray Good call. I agree. It's definitely a weak point.
I did have my concerns about that at the time, but I had the thought that the big strap over the fender area was doing the compression of the rear suspension ( Not too much. Just about an inch of travel) but I decided to use the lighter straps just to create a bit of lateral bracing just in (unlikely) case the rear tyre decided to move to the side.
I was going to brace to the rear wheel but then I thought that would be no good if the wheel turned for some reason....so the rack got the short straw :whitstling:

Trailered it from NJ to ME in 2021 around the lower end of the forks. This allowed the suspension to work freely to absorb bumps while still completely securing the bike. I forget what i did with the rear straps. may have gone through the rear wheel itself with a single strap, but it wasn't even needed. The bike wasn't trailered with the kickstand down as seen pictured.

Attachments

• IMG_8086.JPG
    IMG_8086.JPG
    307.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8096.jpeg
    IMG_8096.jpeg
    186.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8097.jpeg
    IMG_8097.jpeg
    278.8 KB · Views: 36
I have a condor chock and E-track in my trailer. I don't tie the bars to anything. I run a ratchet strap through the wheel and then to the e-track rings to pull the wheel into the chock. The front suspension has full travel and the wheel can't back out of the chock. On a single sided swingarm I'd loop the ratchet straps around the rear tire and then straight down to the e-clip rings for side-to-side stability. Done. Bike can bounce freely on the suspension but can't go anywhere.

Yep, front wheel dock chock, two straps at the front from the bars and one through the rear wheel.

I would question this "Canyon Dancer".
1) The web pix looks like the tie downs pull to the rear, AWAY from the front wheel chock.
2) Pressure from the tubes over the grips may damage heated grips.
3) Tie downs from the lower triple clamp are closer to the center of mass and offer less "moment arm", better control with less force.
4) Handlebars are not as sturdy as the triple clamp.
Just sayin' . . .

Back