Trailer hitches...

I own and ride a couple of Triumph Rocket III Touring models. When I purchased the first, a 2008 R3T I started to turn the cycle into a rolling Recliner. I enjoyed all the changes I put on her. The front is a full fairing with stereo and speakers. The rear is a King 2 tour pak. I looked for hitches, and found a couple that I could purchase. Neither one was exactly what I wanted. I have a small welding / fabrication shop. I am somewhat of tool hoarder. Drill press, milling machine. Various band saws and a nice small 20 ton press. I own 4 or 5 welders and used to be a certified welder.
With what I know, it became clear to build my own hitch. I like a removable receiver. I also wanted to be able to take the complete hitch off without damaging or scratching my Rocket. I made mine and used it to pull a cycle trailer around the eastern U.S. and parts of Canada. No issues. I’ve built a couple for my friends. After 30 years of fabrication I have not had any issues.
My question is, do I want to build and sell a few of these to Rocket owners? Is the good feeling for helping other Captains worth any liability i will assume for building hitches? Give me opinions please. Chip.
Hey Chip I've been following along on & off about the hitch that you fabricate . Maybe you could either post some pics or send me some email . I'd really would like to see it if possible . vinetbernardd@gmail.com

I’ll try to snap a picture of a completed hitch. I think I have the 1st. one I built off the 08 R3T. It’s a little long in the tooth, but clearly a good hitch. I’ve been cutting steel most of the day. Starting to make parts...

Chip:

You mentioned that the hitch would use the bracket to which the exhaust slip-ons bolt. My R3T has Zard exhaust, so no mufflers running back under the bags. The brackets that the saddle bags sit on are there. Will your hitch work on my bike?
Yes the exhaust brackets on the R3T bolt with 2 long bolts per side. Take your bags off, and the bracket needed becomes visible. Putting the hitch on the Rocket really is simple. That’s good, because every time you take the rear wheel off, the hitch is in the way.

Just a picture to show what the hitches look like. This hitch is not painted nor is it polished. The steel is still sharp. Other than that, it will bolt up to a R3T as is.

Attachments

• D23D8317-A35E-4D44-88B6-0608D2F05332.jpeg
    D23D8317-A35E-4D44-88B6-0608D2F05332.jpeg
    300.2 KB · Views: 53
Just a quick post to let you guys know that I bought one of Chip's trailer hitches for my 2008 R3T. It arrived today and I just finished installing it. It is a well though-out and nicely fabricated piece. I haven't pulled a trailer with it yet, but there is no doubt that this thing will do the job. Chip's picture above doesn't do it justice. My hitch came all black and shiny and included the mounting hardware.

Last edited:
I didn't post a picture. Just made reference to Chip's picture.
Note. Kevin asks for pictures on all my posts. I’ve learned to expect the request! My problem is I take terrible photos. Whenever we discuss Rocket parts or modifications it is helpful to have visual capabilities. Usually I’m using the wrong part name and confusing information. A picture says a lot.

Back