Interesting, apparently that's true.

Screenshot_20220110-213638_Chrome.jpg

Interesting, apparently that's true.

Screenshot_20220110-213638_Chrome.jpg
Most don't realize that any radar( not Lidar) false reading is easily distinguishable for the operator. Radar uses a cone affect. Every one mph has a distinct, exact and constant Doppler tone. The tone for 100 mph is always the same as is all single mph and it's at a more high pitched frequency at very high speeds. The same for a low tone at say 10 mph. If you had a radar pointed at a car starting out accelerating from 1 mph up to 100 mph the constant tone of the doppler would sound like a car accelerating even as the RPM's drop and you briefly lose speed the tone would pick that up. It would start out low and end up as a high pitched screech. It registers the increased velocity at the speed of light. The radar signal leaves the radar antenna, strikes the moving object and returns at the speed of light and it's calculated and turned to mph for a readout on the target and patrol window of the radar screen in the blink of an eye. There are modes on the radars to pick up the fastest object because radars usually pick up larger objects and not smaller, that was rectified in the 80's. So if someone was at 86 mph that single tone would be consistent and constant and never change in frequency. So in essence after the visual estimations at tracking speeds (say 1/4 mile) then radar read out with the doppler tone increasing or constant you have your speed always in the favor of the driver due to the angle. Now Lidar is a direct laser beam that at a quarter of a mile aimed at the front license plate will never get bigger than 4'x4' and there is zero chance of mistakes. You asleep yet?

Acceleration not so much and I don't know of anyone that would use radar in a curve. No reason to do that and realistically no one would do it. It would be like using Radar standing north and trying to use it on east-west traffic. It won't work that way. Your radar reading would be much lower at an angle (in a curve) than the actual speed. Now accelerating or just coming out of a curve into a straightaway is perfectly fine. As far as acceleration the speed is continuous until it isn't. In other words it has to level off or drop for a visual estimation, tracking history, Doppler tone and read out and then the deed is done. The true part is if the acceleration is continuous and continues on out of visual sight still climbing in speed the last estimation of the speed, Doppler tone also consistent with the estimated speed and read out are all within the 5 mph parameters then you got them. You won't be able to catch them but hey, you did your part.

That's a new one on me. I would think in this day and age they have the technology to correct for that. I'm pretty sure they can read 90 degrees to direction of travel?
They want the citation to benefit the driver and has a +1/-1 error. Actually it's less that 1 but for explanation purposes plus or minus 1 is used. Now at angles this is beneficial once again to the driver as the further the angle the less speed will show on the radar/Lidar. If you're in the fast lane and the PoPo is on the right shoulder of 4 lanes and your speed is 85 then 81 to 82 would show up on the Radar. This is beneficial when testifying in court. Just another plan by the man to keep a law abiding brother down. 😠

If the target is driving 70 mph in the fast lane and the cosine is 60 degrees and the holder is on the right shoulder of 3 or 4 lanes that is waiting way too long and the target/vehicle is on top of you. No one would do that as the speed registers very low due to the high cosine angle. The target speed would be 35 mph at 60 degrees even though the driver is at 70 mph. How is that getting screwed? If the target was in the fast lane out say 300 feet that would be around 68 mph. At 350 feet you're nearing 0 degrees and the target speed would be 69 to 69.? mph. I never heard the term 'instant velocity measurement. The velocity is the target speed and the measurement is the radar wave striking the moving target and bouncing back to the radar gun where the wave has changed it's length and the wave is 'measured and converted to speed'. The 'incident angle of the radar or beam is a factor in the doppler equation' is your statement. In laymen's terms you stated the cosine angle is a factor in measuring the speed of the target resulting in a radar speed readout. I explained that earlier. As far as who's ever holding the gun wins. If the cops a bad cop you're right although so many people are hauling ass out there no reason for anyone to cheat but I know it has happened especially in the early 80's when radar became popular. It was misused for sure. There were a lot of incompetent people operating them during those times. Sorry so boring just my 2 cents, Cheers.

Last edited:
Back