Thanks to all who contribute!

Rocket3Pilot

Supercharged
Ride
2013 Rocket III Roadster
I'd like to thank everyone who has taken the time to contribute to this website in one way or another. It has been invaluable in accelerating the learning curve about my 2013 Roadster. My last bike was a Kawasaki 900 in 1976 and that was quite a bike at the time, so I've been out of biking for 38 years! I did not even know a machine such as the Rocket existed until a few months ago?

I bought the bike with 3,000 miles on it Corbin beetle bags and fairing and stock with the idea of taking a really big trip out west.(I live in Virginia) So aside from being totally intimidated by the "beast" I was really concerned about my physical endurance (I'm 62) and what it would entail.

I was able to scour this website to glean everything I could about performance, mechanics, ergonomics, and weed out what was personal preference verses real issues. Initially I was considering all kinds of mods based on some of the claims but with time I got way more conservative.

So here's what I ended up doing, and for me (5'8' 180lbs) it was the ride of a lifetime!

I put the touring handle bars on to get just a little more relaxed wrist angle with maybe an inch of pullback. McCruise throttle lock. made a new lexan sheild to fit the Corbin fairing that was 2 inches taller than stock. This got my head just below the buffet yet I could still see over it. Added the stock factory sissy bar and luggage rack so I could carry a T-bag. And most importantly of all and the single biggest improvement of all was to go with a brand new Excedra Max rear tire and Avon front tire.

I doubt I will do anything else to this bike. It was simply incredible! My shortest day riding was 550 miles. Most days I ran 750 miles. My longest was 850. I went out the south route Interstate 40 to Las Vegas NV, stayed 3 days to watch my daughter compete in a ballroom dancing competition then back on the road north up 15 to 70 over to Denver and back through Kansas. I completed this round trip in 12 days.

All the roads west of Oklahoma were superb and speed limits allowed very fast cruising. Many times if I had a runner I could cruise comfortably at 90 to 100mph until I needed gas? BTW I averaged 38mpg for the trip. Got one 40(maybe it was a tailwind and high altitude) and one 33mpg.

The most surprising thing to me was that I never got, cramped, stiff, sore, numb or tired from the bikes seat, noise, vibration. NADA! I guess I got lucky but this machine was just like a "magic carpet ride". The helmet drone got to me some towards the end but that would come from any bike out there.

Unbelievable performance, technology, and ride. Best bike ever!
IMG_0165.jpg

They are quite a bike, and will easily do long trips. It just keeps getting betterer.

You are correct about this forum!
Tis indeed a gem!

Nice to hear of your grand reunion to motorcycles. The Rockets are indeed unique.
This/these moto forums have been a treasure trove of useful info for me also.
Thanks for the ride report & photos.

Well said sir. This is my fist R3R I purchased it this spring. You are correct about this forum, great advice and great people. The Bike! ITS AWESOME! It is by far the best bike I have owned in 44 years of riding. I cannot stop smiling and laughing when I ride it. I am a little jealous of one thing, I too am 5' 8" but not 180lbs. I am working on that though. Nice touches to your Rocket. I like the handle bar idea. I may think about that one.

Back