Tell Dealer Bike is Tuned?

I've never met a dealer that gave a sh!t what tune I had, or tuner installed. Many actually did it for me! Most if not all motorcycle dealers understand that this is part of the motorcycle ownership and practically a culture among riders, and most are riders themselves.
As stated above, be candid with them, they'll appreciate that, as it may save them unnecessary headaches.

My dealership didn't care.
My dealership did mine while explaining to me what TuneECU was... :p I think it was more due to the relationship I had with the GM, sales and maintenance crew... so it may not have been the norm.
-MIG

My dealership did mine while explaining to me what TuneECU was... :p I think it was more due to the relationship I had with the GM, sales and maintenance crew... so it may not have been the norm.
-MIG
No. That’s not the norm 😂! But, hey, BMW (car) dealers have for a while sanctioned and in fact sold Dinan tunes for their cars which can dramatically increase hp/tq, sure would be nice if we could get a Triumph approved warrantied tune. But they don’t offer one and I think I know why (they tune their bike to virtually guarantee no engine failure even in the harshest of conditions during warranty period at the cost of, it seems, ~15% of the power IN ALL CONDITIONS). The reason the BMW/Dinan deal works is Dinan accepts that some failures will fall on them to remedy and BMW dealerships get a cut of the rev. It’s part of their agreement. TuneECU, DNK and Penner have the sum total of 0% liability overhead for your possible engine explosion. And Triumph/Dealer got 0% of the TuneECU app purchase price ($12?), 0% of the DNK $200 tune price and 0% of the $0 Penner charges for his little gem. I say that to say this: I understand why Triumph may be interested to know if a part failure was the result of their workmanship or engineering or rather if it was caused by a modification they saw no revenue from. In the latter scenario it’s only fair that they not have to pay to fix your toy.

Also should mention it would be super hard to determine if a 15% more powerful tune broke a driveline or snarled a clutch and chances are **** good that 20-30hp wasn’t the reason those parts failed, so Triumph would give the customer the benefit in such a case and if they don’t just tell them you have a lawyer friend who likes to file small lawsuits in his free time.

Don’t expect that to be the case if your “little tune” includes 10psi of force-air induction after TTS puts 360hp to your rear, fellas. You heard it here first!!!

Last edited:
I have never lost any sleep about any warranty, whether for a motorcar, motorcycle, vacuum cleaner, home renovation, etc. Folk tend to forget about common law and consumer protection act(s). Warranties originated as a seller's attempt to LIMIT the buyer's rights provided under the aforementioned and was never intended to add to the buyer's rights or to protect him/her in any way. I already went on a roll about that here previously; Hairline Crack on Exhaust Header.

Penner's 'all other markets' tune fiddles the fuelling a tad (adding some at lower rpm) and opens the throttle body butterflies - not even by more than the physical throttle position. His US/Canada tune similarly also slightly fiddles the timing somewhat in the same rev-range - alternatively advancing and retarding. No open air-cleaners, extreme-overlap cams or other physical engine-aspiration-related modifications are being implemented. Moreover, the OEM has not explicitly locked the ECU to prevent reprogramming it on anything except OEM-specific hardware - so we are not hacking the ECU. Just take care always to be upfront with one's dealer, as mentioned earlier in earlier posts. And even in writing should the opportunity arise.

As pfos1 implies above, things obviously change somewhat if we bolt on a blower or need to clearance engine components to allow high-lift cams to rotate freely. But only strictly as related. A physical engine modification has zero bearing on misbehaving indicators, for example, as reported in another thread here.

Last edited:
Back