Tell Dealer Bike is Tuned?

EskimoPie

Supercharged
Ride
2021 Rocket 3 GT
Flashed Penner's full power map this weekend. LOVING it! Got the quick shifter on order (which should be an amazing combination). When I take the bike into the dealer for install, any reason not to tell them it's been tuned? I don't want them to try and install any updates and overwrite the tune. I'm assuming they'll immediately see with the dealer tool that it's been flashed so it's probably moot, but figured I shouldn't draw attention to it if I don't need to.

Frustrating part is I actually have the quick shifter already, but the darn shift lever for the GT is back ordered.

Last edited:
I would tell them that there was a few changes and to leave it alone.

I've always told dealers about any modifications, both bikes and cars. And I've never had an issue. More than one have thanked me because they don't have to spend time chasing an anomaly related to something that isn't stock. And as to warranties, all that I have encountered were in no hurry to void a warranty. The bottom line is, if you choose to play the modification game, you have to be prepared to pay.

The bottom line is, if you choose to play the modification game, you have to be prepared to pay.
Completely agree, and definitely own the consequences of my choices. Some dealers are more touchy about the subject than others in my experience. Luckily my local dealership seems to be fantastic and I can't say that I'm terribly worried about it. Just food for thought.

Completely agree, and definitely own the consequences of my choices. Some dealers are more touchy about the subject than others in my experience. Luckily my local dealership seems to be fantastic and I can't say that I'm terribly worried about it. Just food for thought.
Agreed. I always tell them, too, and I have never had an issue because of that. I also do not hesitate to add that I'll drag their wise-4sses to court and remind them about social media and the internet if snotty remarks surface.

Regarding the Quickshifter, the dealer needs to 1) enable it with his digital wrench, 2) adjust it (different voltage for each of the R and GT), 3) ride it through all gears and then 4) connect the digital wrench again to verify the adaption status.

Last edited:
Don’t know if this is true but I’ve been told that if/when they plug in the tool, upgrades happen automatically. So if there’s a new version of a stock tune, you’ll get it. If you’re not comfortable asking the dealer whether this is true or not to update the tune, just reload your custom tune afterwards.

I've always told dealers about any modifications, both bikes and cars. And I've never had an issue. More than one have thanked me because they don't have to spend time chasing an anomaly related to something that isn't stock. And as to warranties, all that I have encountered were in no hurry to void a warranty. The bottom line is, if you choose to play the modification game, you have to be prepared to pay.
I
Flashed Penner's full power map this weekend. LOVING it! Got the quick shifter on order (which should be an amazing combination). When I take the bike into the dealer for install, any reason not to tell them it's been tuned? I don't want them to try and install any updates and overwrite the tune. I'm assuming they'll immediately see with the dealer tool that it's been flashed so it's probably moot, but figured I shouldn't draw attention to it if I don't need to.

Frustrating part is I actually have the quick shifter already, but the darn shift lever for the GT is back ordered

Frustrating part is I actually have the quick shifter already, but the darn shift lever for the GT is back ordered.
I would let them know, yes. They will find out if ever there is a question about a warranty issue. The only way to avoid this is to go back to stock every time and hope they don’t check the box on the inspection that says “unlocked ecu.” I read Once you’ve flashed it there is no way to go back to completely stock and they will always be able to “tell” the ecu was overwritten even if re-mapped to stock. Someone more knowledgeable posted about this somewhere. I hope triumph would be cool about a part failure that was not related to increased power (suspension issue, say, or breaks), but don’t expect that if a tuned bike blows up that you’re not going to have some ‘splaining to do!! Seems the bike is quite robust. But it is a motorcycle. Things will go wrong. If it happens in the first two years and isn’t due to negligent tune methinks you’ll be taken care of. Alas if you want to be totally safe can’t tune or modify!

Back