britman

Nitrous
Ride
2005 Rocket 3/2014 Moto Guzzi Touring
My solder repair on my ignition switch has apparently gone south. Lately when you turn the key there is a dead spot and you have to wiggle the key to get full connection. Since I installed the Gipro and the Odyssey battery it has gotten worst, probably from the testing and extra juice. I called Baxter Cycle today thinking if anyone would have a unit on the shelve, it would be them. Unfortunately they didn't but they did tell me there is a Triumph bulletin out to the dealers on the ignition switch connector. Apparently there is an upgrade for the dealer to install a more waterproof connector in the harness for certain models. I called D&D Cycles in Norfolk to order the switch at a cost of $172.00 and they are sending the new connector along also. I will have to have two keys now because I am way to cheap to order the whole lock, tank, and seat set. At least the problem arose in my garage and not on the side of the road.

Keep your old switch harness, cut the wires at the switch, solder together all the leads to the ignition, brake lights, turnsignals etc, then connect to a toggle switch. The power wire is the thick white wire. Then keep it with the bike, if your new switch ever fails you can just lift the tank, unplug the harness, plug in the old one, flip the switch and go.

Hey George, I was able to separate the lower unit on the switch and replace it with the new one. However, this was with the old style unit. When you get it in, let's take a look and see if it will work on the updated part.

switch

I have had the switch problem twice now, the first time I fixed it it held for 3 months this time I cable tied the loom to the headlight bracket so it can not move the wires under the switch. I hope this fixes it otherwise its to much voltage going through the wire and getting hot enough to melt the solder.

No No No stop in your tracks, my switch started to go south at Maggie Valley last Sep with the help of some super captains I was able to make it back to Fort Walton Beach FL with no problems.
I called my local dealer (D&D Cycles in Pensacola FL) and explained to Dink(the owner)what happened he told me to hang tight for a couple of days, anyhoo he called me back and said that Triumph will give me a complete kit which consists of a new switch (whole unit) a new seat lock and a new petrol(gas) cap so as the one key fits all.
Triumph would not pay for the labour but it is an easy enough job to do especially if you have removed the switch before.
Not bad for a 2005 bike with 40000plus miles on it, i love Triumph I hope they love you as much George.:D

Keep your old switch harness, cut the wires at the switch, solder together all the leads to the ignition, brake lights, turnsignals etc, then connect to a toggle switch. The power wire is the thick white wire. Then keep it with the bike, if your new switch ever fails you can just lift the tank, unplug the harness, plug in the old one, flip the switch and go.

Ugarte,
That is an excellent back up idea, however I think the new replacement switch will have a different connector to the wiring harness. That is the matching free part they are sending. We will see.

Hey George, I was able to separate the lower unit on the switch and replace it with the new one. However, this was with the old style unit. When you get it in, let's take a look and see if it will work on the updated part.

James,
Thanks, worth a try.

No No No stop in your tracks, my switch started to go south at Maggie Valley last Sep with the help of some super captains I was able to make it back to Fort Walton Beach FL with no problems.
I called my local dealer (D&D Cycles in Pensacola FL) and explained to Dink(the owner)what happened he told me to hang tight for a couple of days, anyhoo he called me back and said that Triumph will give me a complete kit which consists of a new switch (whole unit) a new seat lock and a new petrol(gas) cap so as the one key fits all.
Triumph would not pay for the labour but it is an easy enough job to do especially if you have removed the switch before.
Not bad for a 2005 bike with 40000plus miles on it, i love Triumph I hope they love you as much George.:D

Dave,

I am not getting that kind of Triumph love, must be that accent of yours to get that kind of action. I am getting a free connector that matches the new switch. ( I will be doing the soldering and my skills are equivalent to a chimp with a Bic lighter.) I know my dealer called Triumph about the issue, and he is the same one who got the output shaft upgrade for free on a 2005 model, so I not complaining.The bike is five years old now and stuff does break. At least I don't have to deal with those **** security screws this time around, I replaced them with regular allen heads.

Just FYI

I installed the new switch this past weekend. The new harness connector came with with quick crimps and is completely different than the one for the old switch. No soldering was involved except for one small screw up on my part. Supposedly this new new connector is more waterproof than the old style, but installs with quick crimps, go figure. Oh well, plenty of Supper 33 tape and heat shrink. I will now be going by my new Indian name, "Two-Key Carter".

I have a suggestion w respect to the new switch installations. Take a tube of clear adheasive/sealant and fill the lower cavity where the wires are soldered to the bottom of the switch. After it sets up, it will insulate from moisture AND vibration. My switch originally failed from loose solder joints. Hoping this will avoid future problems. I too am a two key captain but am in the process of changing the gas and seat locks.

switch

The solder is melting off, makes me wonder why ? The fuse should blow first unless water is getting into the plug and some how adding more amps to the switch without blowing the fuse. This is maybe why Triumph has updated the plug to fix the problem. The only other theory that someone else put forward was the contact in the switch is too small and causing heat buildup. Maybe filing the brass contact so it's slightly flat will increase the contact area and fix the problem ? Mine melted again for the third time today and it is starting to piss me off, I want permanent fix which maybe a keyless system any suggestions ?

Last edited:
Back