Suspension gurus-zero weight fork oil?!

Allan S

Simple African lad with a Rocket
Ride
2016 Roadster-skunk
My service manual for the 2016 roadster tells me on page 24 under "general information - suspension" that the spec fork oil is Kayaba 01 (SAE0W).. Is that possible given that the common wisdom on the forum is that stock weight is 5? If stock is 5 I want to use 7 to slow damping but if its zero, wont 7 be too thick to effectively get through the tiny holes quickly enough to provide any damping at all? What am I missing here?

Not what my manual says. 5w oil.
I've upgraded to progressive springs & changed to 7w - it's perfect

Interesting... based on your info I looked online and found a service manual that shows 5wt oil where mine shows 0W oil. I have seen some discrepancies in the past but didn't realize that I probably had an old version. Thanks ! BTW the old version was downloaded from www.manualslib.com

Interesting... based on your info I looked online and found a service manual that shows 5wt oil where mine shows 0W oil. I have seen some discrepancies in the past but didn't realize that I probably had an old version. Thanks ! BTW the old version was downloaded from www.manualslib.com

I have an 05 with the hard copy manual that the original owner bought with the bike :thumbsup:

I would not say I know a lot - but I have played and seen what happens when "I move this knob" - And for my sins I have an ever-questioning engineers mind.

I literally lose sleep when I don't understand something - so I am drugged most nights. There is still so much to understand.

imo - it's better to alter the valving than change oil. Spain like Texas is warmish most of the year - my local suspension expert uses 5W unless the valves cannot be re-sprung.

The R3's stock dampers (front and rear) are VERY poor. As are the stock front springs. BUT before playing - I firmly believe there are many factors to take into account.

I would not say I know a lot - but I have played and seen what happens when "I move this knob" - And for my sins I have an ever-questioning engineers mind.

I literally lose sleep when I don't understand something - so I am drugged most nights. There is still so much to understand.

imo - it's better to alter the valving than change oil. Spain like Texas is warmish most of the year - my local suspension expert uses 5W unless the valves cannot be re-sprung.

The R3's stock dampers (front and rear) are VERY poor. As are the stock front springs. BUT before playing - I firmly believe there are many factors to take into account.

Ill try with the stock oil after the cartridge install as it gets hot here in the summer when I ride 25C-35 C. I park it when it gets down to around 12C- Thanks guys, you are awesome!

I have an 05 with the hard copy manual that the original owner bought with the bike :thumbsup:

So maybe the SAE0W oil ref in the manual is the newer manual? The rest looks pretty much the same randomly checking. I'm sure there are many small differences though.

Ill try with the stock oil after the cartridge install as it gets hot here in the summer when I ride 25C-35 C. I park it when it gets down to around 12C- Thanks guys, you are awesome!
If you are fitting custom cartridges - they mfr will have taken (should have) account of such factors (if you told them).

Back