Superbike test from 1972 and what those bikes would cost in 2022

Justdad

Supercharged
Ride
Triumph Thruxton R
I thought some newer riders and some old riders might like to take a stroll bike to what Superbikes in 1972 were like in a period show down in 1972.

Now I am sure owners of any of those bikes tested in 1972 were quicker and faster than the testers achieved in 1972 but it relative.

I also included what those 1972 bikes would be adjusted for inflation in 2022 and what you could buy in that same brand today.

Last edited:
Thank you for that blast from the past. Excellent summary of the article. I even owned a Yamaha TX750 but the engine failed after only 4000 miles. Apparently the 73 model with the relatively new balance shafts caused the crankcase oil to foam causing... guess. The 74 had an extended sump but it was discontinued after that.

I never read the 72 Superbike comparison so I thank you for bringing it up. I do remember the 1973 Superbike comparison by Cycle magazine though. Here is a link to that one. 1973 SUPERBIKES pg1 . You will notice that Yamaha and Suzuki didn't enter but Ducati did and the 900 Kawasaki debuted.

Thank you for that blast from the past. Excellent summary of the article. I even owned a Yamaha TX750 but the engine failed after only 4000 miles. Apparently the 73 model with the relatively new balance shafts caused the crankcase oil to foam causing... guess. The 74 had an extended sump but it was discontinued after that.

I never read the 72 Superbike comparison so I thank you for bringing it up. I do remember the 1973 Superbike comparison by Cycle magazine though. Here is a link to that one. 1973 SUPERBIKES pg1 . You will notice that Yamaha and Suzuki didn't enter but Ducati did and the 900 Kawasaki debuted.
Thanks...you know I think I have that magazine somewhere. Yeah I remember the TX 750 having reliability issues and quickly disappearing from the scene.

I remember Cook Nielson from Cycle raced a 1977 Ducati 750 SS with great success. Thanks for the link.

That took me back a bit. I loved those magazines and the comparison testings. Thanks that was enjoyable. That Kaw Triple was a beast of a two stroke.

That took me back a bit. I loved those magazines and the comparison testings. Thanks that was enjoyable. That Kaw Triple was a beast of a two stroke.
Thanks Dr.D. Flipping tnrougn the magazine did the same for me. I've ridden bikes up to 200 horsepower but until this day my ride on a 1972 Kawasaki 750 H2 is only bike that I have ridden that scared me.

Last edited:
Thanks Dr.D. Flipping tnrougn the magazine did the same for me. I've ridden bikes up to 200 horsepower but until this day my ride on a 1972 Kawasaki 750 H2 is only bike that I have ridden that scared me.
Wasn’t that the two stroke triple? If it was I rode one when I was 15 years old. When that bike raved up and hit that typical two stroke power band it was a thrill plus fear.

Wasn’t that the two stroke triple? If it was I rode one when I was 15 years old. When that bike raved up and hit that typical two stroke power band it was a thrill plus fear.
You are correct, if remember right it was about 5500 rpm is when all hell breaks loose. The loud howl from the intake right under the seat. So much vibration the handlebars seemingly doubling or tripling in size. The front wheel coming into full view at 45 degrees has you start sliding off the back and causing you to inadvertently give it more throttle.

Yes sir I have two bikes in my garage quicker and faster and another about the same as that Kawasaki but no bike got my heart racing like that before or since.

They were known for tad of tail pipe smoke too.😂 Not really a well rounded bike for the street but I’d did have the terror character.

Back