starting problems

Bigfoot

.060 Over
Ride
2006 Rocket Classic, 2007 Rocket
I was at my shop/dealer and was talking to the shop mgr. and he was talking about a lot of rockets were have problems with the starter as in the stator going bad and that maybe I should think about changing / replacing that while the engine is out Does anyone know of any problems like this or what I have 78000 on the bike and would like to do this now rather than have to pull the engine again if there is going to be a problem I just hope this is not a ploy to get more money for labor/ parts as they are getting enough as it is

Are you talking about the stator or the starter? The starter motor is easy to replace, and there is a Toyota one for around $100 as opposed to Triumph's $700+ for theirs.

The stator is in the engine, and if he isn't going to charge too much while he is in there, it will definitely be cheaper than getting into it once everything is back together.

He had stated there were starting problems related to the stator I was just wondering if anyone had these kinds of problems and while Im at it ...how long or how many miles are they good for and is it worth changing out now even if I have not had any problems...Im just trying to cover all problems that could be fixed while the engine is out so I wont (hopefully) have to do this again....(knock on wood)

He had stated there were starting problems related to the stator I was just wondering if anyone had these kinds of problems and while Im at it ...how long or how many miles are they good for and is it worth changing out now even if I have not had any problems...Im just trying to cover all problems that could be fixed while the engine is out so I wont (hopefully) have to do this again....(knock on wood)

Is there a warranty with the new stator? and how long? And do you think your original stator would last at least as long as there warranty period? Electrical items are a "crap shoot"...if it ain't broke don't fix it

a starter is an electrical motor that cranks(turns over) the engine so it can start. it is at the bottom of the engine and is not to difficult to change.
the stator is a part of the charging system and is inside the engine. I have not heard of any problems with these.
you need to clarify which one he is referring to.

a starter is an electrical motor that cranks(turns over) the engine so it can start. it is at the bottom of the engine and is not to difficult to change.
the stator is a part of the charging system and is inside the engine. I have not heard of any problems with these.
you need to clarify which one he is referring to.

There is a stator in the starter motor, basic electric motor theory, without it the armature would not turn and the bike won't start. Just putting this out for clarification as I know it can be confusing. I have repaired many starters in my day.
I would be curious how he diagnosed the starting problems to relate back to the starters stator windings though......don't say that 10 times fast....
Cheers

Back