Starter/Ground Cable Upgrade Resource

Didn't he say only two wires were necessary on the Rocket since the solenoid is mounted to the starter?

I don't know if this means anything but there is a wire between the solenoid and the motor of the starter. I had to disconnect to change the motor.

it is in the starter but Mully is right there is a little wire running from the motor to the solenoid. I am not sure if you can get at it in the motor to change it. In fact you can see it below with it's insulation boot still on it.
Starter Contacts.JPG

This is a good thread. For what it is worth, when building Hot Rods I would normally use 4 AWG welding cable for anything connected to the battery. Starters especially. Welding cable is easy to use and has a better load range and durability. After reading these responses I will be changing my Rockets cables this week.

it is in the starter but Mully is right there is a little wire running from the motor to the solenoid. I am not sure if you can get at it in the motor to change it. In fact you can see it below with it's insulation boot still on it.
Starter Contacts.JPG
The wires here initiated the plunger. The big amps go to the armaturer via the cable attached to the copper lug to the left in this picture.

Thanks for the pix, @warp9.9! :thumbsup:
Are you suggesting the solenoid and starter be disassembled and this wire replaced as well as the other two?
Any pix of the other two and where they connect?

Thanks for the pix, @warp9.9! :thumbsup:
Are you suggesting the solenoid and starter be disassembled and this wire replaced as well as the other two?
Any pix of the other two and where they connect?
No Bull I am not just pointing out what some had mentioned the third wire. I do not know what one the other end or if it can or needs to be replaced. My bet is some people do not look at it even when they say I cleaned on the contact areas the wires attach to. Not sure if this bugger gets corroded or not but if so I suspect everything else does not matter. :) Maybe @DEcosse will indulge us with his valued opinion shortly. It looks to be a pretty big wire say 4 gauge or so.

Thanks, Scott! :thumbsup:
I didn't think so, but wanted to be sure as I am GOING to definitely do this . . . once I figure it all out.
Looks like I must spend some quality time with my fancy shop manual book. :D

Thanks, Scott! :thumbsup:
I didn't think so, but wanted to be sure as I am GOING to definitely do this . . . once I figure it all out.
Looks like I must spend some quality time with my fancy shop manual book. :D
Wait while I deal with my grandchildren and I will post some pictures. I can tell you if you pull the ameture out snap goes the braushes on the other end :)

Back