Some kind of limiter in 5th

Vsouth

Standard Bore
This is my first post as a new member of the forum, so please bear with me. I purchased a 2007 R3 in July. I have never been able to rev past 5200 rpm's in 5th gear. It goes a little like this. 1st gear 7000 rpm, 2nd gear 7000 rpm, 3rd gear 7000 rpm, 4th gear 6500. Shifting into fifth brings undesirable results. At 6500 in 4th the speedo indicates 132 mph and starts bumping off the limiter. I shift into 5th and I am immediately into another limiter that cuts my speed to an indicated 120 mph. It will slowly climb to an indicated 125-127 mph but is constantly dropping speed when I reach these speeds. Rpm's in 5th never go above 5250. This really sucks as I was expecting 140ish as a top end.

So I searched the forum and found the gear box resistor mod. I quickly went to radio shack and bought my parts. After a quick install I was back on the road to test. Nothing! I checked and double checked my work. It is all good and resistance reads 687 ohms. The bike has the tune it came with. It is the 2007 Rocket III classic tourer. Any help with this frustrating problem is appreciated.

V
Classic runs a soft tune, get another tune
or get Tuneboy much better more power/revs/Grins :D
Les

Have your dealer put in the tune for the regular Rocket, not the classic... You will then be limited at 145... Or buy Tuneboy...

Mike....

Yep - get yourself the Tuneboy, and take off all the limits. You can set your speedo so that it reads accurately too, as well as all sorts of other clever stuff.

Interesting, so the speed limiter only kicks in when in 5th gear? I did not know that, so you're at 132 in 4th, shift into 5th and nail a limiter that drops you to 120. That almost sounds dangerous.

a tourer that won't cruise in 5th at 140mph? where do you plan to ride that thing anyway? 7000 rpm in first 3-4 gears on a bike that 2-3 months old? how many miles on it?

how about an indicator that pops up on the speedo that reads...."organ donor"...or... "I don't need no stink'n license"....or something equally as helpful. Or, how about trading the tourer for a max'd out Hyabusa and some term life insurance?

Tatonka said:
a tourer that won't cruise in 5th at 140mph? where do you plan to ride that thing anyway?

They have these new fandangle things out there... I think they are called... umm... oh what is it... oh yeah... tracks.

I will get a tune boy next year. The weather is not real conducive to riding such a beast in this time of year. I currently have a little over 1900 miles on the bike. I have always been a fan of breaking it in like you plan on riding it. We also have lots straight roads that beg to be driven fast. Thanks for the replies. I have to go to the dealer to get the radiator replaced. Hopefully they will be able dump in a regular tune so I can have a little more fun until the tune boy get purchased.

The wife will be well taken care of if my time comes. Just remember to live life to it's fullest.

Vsouth, welcome, I have been away for a bit and am sorry I missed this thread. Love to shoot my mouth off on those occasions when I actually know what we are all talking about. My RIII is an '05 and things COULD be different, but I don't think so. Definately two limiters, Rev limiter and top speed limiter. If any of you doubt this, here's the tip. On the road at 60 mph in fifth gear open it up and feel how hard it pulls, until 110 (less on the classic?) when it eases down to a slow acceleration to it's limit. (Uncorrected, mine said something like 135, but it was about 120 mph). Then go in fourth and wide open it pulls like hell, until you shift to 5'th and it has nothing left, cause you are already on the limiter. The resistor mod WILL fix this.
IMHO
#1 Have someone else look at your circuit, or write the circuit as you see it on paper and then think about it and see if you really have it right. (Been there, done that a thousand times. :oops: )
#2 Be sure your neutral light still works. (No? Then you cut the wrong wire)
#3 Make sure it is the wire from the ECU that goes 680 ohms to a GOOD ground. The wire from the sensor now goes nowhere.
#4 Get a meter and check that Triumph has not altered the shift position sensor, it should read about 700 ohms in 4'th.
As much as I love the tuneboy, (and I LOVE it), the resistor mod should still do what you need.

Back