So they said "Sorry Mate I Didn't See You?

They work extremely well in my experience. http://kisantech.com
Very different effect, Phil ime.

The problem with pulsing headlights is that headlights DO NOT put light anywhere except in front of you. The better the headlight beam the less useful those headlight pulsers are. It's again simple physics.

Good DRL LEDs have a 120º angle. This means they'll be visible off-axis.

Strobe means they go on and off - not just pulse - which would F*CK a normal headlight bulb in minutes. hence the kisantech devices pulse - i.e reduce current and NOT switch off. Strobing is more visible - it's why emergency services use them.

There's a SHED load of difference between light TO SEE BY and light TO BE SEEN BY. Pulsing is just old-tech now.

The Photon Boosters are the right idea but a bit wimpy on light (for me) - The LEDs I'm using are 4 times as bright. I need them to be visible in Spanish Summer.

There's a place in the UK that does a LED flicker device. But very limited wattage and useless in strong sun. I tried to get them to do a 10-20Watt version but was not commercially viable for them.

Last edited:
Thanks for bringing me up to date, RedBeard! I haven't run either of the Kisan products since I ran my last machine during my pre-Rocket era.

The Tailblazer is a great product for making one's rear brakelight more conspicuous to others. Should I choose at some point to make myself and the beast more noticeable from the front other than by screaming or yelling in anger or horror or by abjectly waving my hands for attention, I'll surely follow up on your primer.

That said, the pulsing headlight thingy always garnered me much more attention than I would have had without it, so it seemed to dramatically increase my conspicuity to others, providing me with an enhanced sense of security.

The Tailblazer is a great product for making one's rear brakelight more conspicuous to others. Should I choose at some point to make myself and the beast more noticeable from the front other than by screaming or yelling in anger or horror or by abjectly waving my hands for attention, I'll surely follow up on your primer.

That said, the pulsing headlight thingy always garnered me much more attention than I would have had without it, so it seemed to dramatically increase my conspicuity to others, providing me with an enhanced sense of security.
Can't you just wave a S&W at them?

If you get something with a LED tail light there's a UK company that has a special LED tail device as well as one for normal filaments.

One reason (imo) why the kisantech does seem to be effective is that so many bike headlights are plain rubbish. When I think back to the '80's - just about everybody ditched stock headlights and dropped a Cibie light in.

The less respectable they are are night generally seems to make them more visible to others during the day. If you don't do much night work - kisantech's in an R3 5&3/4" are probably very effective. They're also (I believe) legal in the US - Strobes I doubt are.

I was stopped here by the cops for riding in traffic with the main beam (or illegal lights) on. This in bright sun - so it must have really annoyed them. After discovering the truth, they asked me if I wanted to press charges against Triumph - no kidding.

All these devices make riding safer in my view, more easily seen means safer! however I don't have any fitted simply because I don't want to draw even more attention to my misdemeanors. Police over here have eyes like a **** house rat .

I've wondered about my Roadster lights; as they noticeably light up the road signs in the daytime (on low beam, when you change them to high beam, you can see that, too).

I actually thought about asking the dealer about them, but so far haven't remembered to when I drop by.

I haven't had any need to ride it at night, so can't say if they're aimed too high or not.

But I've been puzzled about some of the negative headlight posts, since mine light up the signs so well in the daytime.

Rick

I've wondered about my Roadster lights; as they noticeably light up the road signs in the daytime (on low beam, when you change them to high beam, you can see that, too). I actually thought about asking the dealer about them, but so far haven't remembered to when I drop by. I haven't had any need to ride it at night, so can't say if they're aimed too high or not. But I've been puzzled about some of the negative headlight posts, since mine light up the signs so well in the daytime. Rick
Rick - the problem is that they simply do not put light where it's needed. Headlights should light the bloody road not things above head height.

There is - in my not so humble opinion (when it comes to lights) - a MASSIVE difference between Light for you to see by and Light for others to see you by.

You can easily see for yourself how much light goes to waste in Triumph head lights. Especially on dip beam. Just put them on in a garage - look at the ceiling. and walls. All that light SHOULD be on the road in front of you. The first think you notice with LED lights is that ALL the light goes onto the tarmac - they're barely visible if you stand to one side.

Also when driving at night there is a HUGE area right in front of you with little or no light. I think. on reflection (pun intended) they're actually pretty much the worst headlamps I've ever driven with - except maybe some US spec' lights that came on a grey import Harley - luckily that cracked and I stuck in a light from a Toyota Land Cruiser that my neighbour had pulled from a wrecked car. A true Night and Day comparison.

Just 1 night run on the R3 had me searching for alternatives. You don't need to go to LED though imo they offer some other advantages - But afaic the best thing you can do is ditch the OEM lights and stick in a pair of Cibie units which are again in production. Valeo (who own the Cibie name) have, it seems , seen the light.

On high beam - the R3 lights are acceptable - Just. But the light from my single CEV light 1979 Guzzi with a 40/45W old fashioned pre-halogen bulb has better NIGHT USE beam pattern than the R3 with both dips on. The CEV is nowhere near as good as a Cibie - I know as in the UK I had a Cibie fitted. Still have it but it dips to the UK side and so it's useless here.

Last edited:
Police over here have eyes like a **** house rat .
I think that's true everywhere. I certainly would not ride ALL THE TIME with strobe lights. And NEVER with RED/BLUE.

Wanted to do this test as a month or so ago I had a relay burn itself closed and some LED lamps I had on overheated as a result - So they'd pulse on and off as they overheated and then cooled. I rode home very warily looking for police and Guardia Civil to avoid.

Yesterday BY PURE CHANCE I came across a shop in Sweden with some MUCH cheaper strobe LED's in case anybody fancies a play.

http://www.hqlights.se/strobe-flash/strobe-drl-kit-4-powerful-led-blue-red-remote.html
http://www.hqlights.se/strobe-flash/strobe-drl-kit-4-powerful-white-led-wireless-remote.html

They also do PROPER STROBE bulbs if you want to build a PACE CAR/BIKE.

Back