Side mount license plate in Calif.

Spyder

Standard Bore
Anyone had any issues with the DMV or the police for driving with a side mounted license plate in CA? The code provides that the license plate be mounted "in the rear," but this isn't altogether helpful. Thanks.

side mount plates

The new law in Florida is: No more vertical mount plates. I don't think you get a ticket from a motorcycle cop but they can pull you over.
rockenrobert
gotta see the world, it will only take a minute
Link Removed

I have a sidemount on my Harley and have not had any problems with the law in CA. I don't know what the DMV thinks of it, but I have not been stopped by the law.

The plate has to be properly displayed, which includes (depending on your state) horizontal, on the rear most portion of the vehicle (not in rear window), and lit at night so it is visible from X number of feet from behind the vehicle.

BTW I have a vertical mount that is not lit. And have not had any problems as of yet. Doesn't mean a taillight chasing highway patrolman wouldn't want to stop and advise me otherwise. I have always planned having to go to a horizontal with a light.

Those types of things make good probable cause to stop someone though.:)

Last edited:
and lit at night so it is visible from X number of feet from behind the vehicle_____Thanks Brian (LIT AT NIGHT) was what I was looking for.So then If I dont ride at night I don't need a plate lite,right..Out here the cops choppers are the most illegal vehs. on the road.Just intrested in other states..While I got ch here how about blue dots..BJC

Those types of things make good probable cause to stop someone though...Hell the Rocket does that,they just wana look see..

As far as I know blue dots are illegal every where. DOT reg. that the brakelights should be red only and so much of the lens should be reflective.

Keep in mind each juridiction has their own respective ordinances too. Where I worked, items hanging from the rear view mirror, cracked windshields, nonfactory or modified exhausts, any lights on the vehicle other than those that came on the vehicle (i.e. accent lights under vehicle), window tint on driver's or passenger side, were all violations of city ordinances. That doens't mean guys would write such chicken**** violations, but it is good to know such ordinances so when you come across those that you know are good for "other" things you have the ability to come up with p.c. for a stop.

Thats Kool but Ill never give up my blue dots and fuzzy dice.Getten hard to find good blue dots these days,most are plastic and just don't turn the whole back of the car purple anymore.Putting blue leds in with the regular brake light gives almost the same effect.They don't bother us much around here.I think (white lite to the rear) is one that they like and I agree.

Back